V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I don't like the skinny-ness of the front wheel on my Night Train. I love the front wheel on the '06 Street Bob's. It just fills up the space between the forks alot better. I know the Street Bob's front rim isn't the same diameter (19" vs 21"), so even if it did fit it would void my warrenty (changes ridability). What size rim and tire would I need to get to match the width of the Street Bob front wheel? The HD web site only lists the tire size (Street Bob: 100/90-19 57H, Night Train: MH90-21 54H), and I don't know what all the numbers/letters mean. Thanks in advance for any help...

--Rob

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I think the circumference of the outer wheel should be the same or close with both the 19" and the 21". The difference in rim size is made up with sidewall height on the tire. Sportsters are fitted with both wheelsets so I don't see too much of an issue in putting a Street Bob front wheel on your train. There's a guy in the Dyna Forum that replaced the 21" wheel on his Wide Glide with a road king wheel so it can be done. One thing that might changes is the spacing of the wheel at the axle. Check with a knowledgeable tech.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It can be done, the only thing that you will have to do is possibly make correct axle spacers to center the wheel. I have a Heritage rim 140/90 16" on my Night Train 2005.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
rgauthier said:
It can be done, the only thing that you will have to do is possibly make correct axle spacers to center the wheel. I have a Heritage rim 140/90 16" on my Night Train 2005.
What fender, if any, do you run with that combo? Any pics?
I believe I'd be a little happier with a little fatter front tire also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't currently run a fender right now but it is on the list for the winter projects. I will probably run a fat boy front fender. I cant attach pics but can email you them if you like.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Go ahead and email them to me then. If you don't mind, I'll put them on my picture site and post them here so others can see them too. Send them to.....
[email protected]

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to see those pics as well... Thanks...

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Here is RGauthier's bike. :thanks: He let me know the front tire is the one that came with the rim.

Looks pretty sharp with the fat front tire and no fender - almost retro effect. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
rgauthier said:
What did you have to do to, if anything, to get that Heritage rim to fit in your stock FX front end?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Custom spacers needed to be machined by my Indy Shop, then some quick fittting for the front brake. It cost me less than $50 for all the labor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the hubs in the heritage front wheels are offset about 1/4" compared to a stock softail standard's front wheel. i had to relace my wheels after powder coating them anyway, so i just relaced them without the offset to match the spacing of my stock wheel. i didn't have to make any spacers as everything went back together perfectly.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
The only changes I needed when putting Road King (16") wheels on my Wide Glide (21" stock) was different size spacers and new axle bearings (the road king wheels were a few years older and had different sized holes).
A fender from a FL front end will fit nicely into a Wide Glide FX front end (which I think would also work on the Night Train). The bolt holes line up perfectly. The only difference is that you will need 4 small (1/4" or so) spacers between the fender and the lowers since the FL front end is actually a little bit narrower. I'm in the process of having a Fat Boy fender painted. Right now I'm fenderless, which looks cool but REALLY SUCKS in the rain.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the project. I'm not sure if the front fender will stay or not. It fits but looks a

little awkward. What do you think?

Without Fender:

With Fender:

Wheel Shot With Fender:

·
Registered
418 Posts
im not a fan of the front rim on the nitetrain either. i have the marzocchi inverted forks so im not sure what i can run up front.

Has anyone else looked into it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here is my FXST with a 16" front tire. I needed a 1 3/16" left spacer, 1/4" pulley spacer for the rotor, longer rotor bolts, fender spacers for teh right side, and a fender. I used a plastic Arlen Ness fender and shaped it for my liking.

Don

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts