V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it is winter here in Arizona, about 65 today, kinda cold.:harhar: .. Took the bike out and all going good. Ran about 100 miles and on trip home bike developed a shimmy,stutter feel. Hard to explain but really noticable. Riding along the road seemed real rough, shudder feeling under load. Did some hills but felt it under any condition, just feels like I lost the smoothness with Acceleration . Got home put the bike on the jack and checked any play in the wheels, all felt tight and well. So I am thinking maybe it is more of a timing issue, shudder and Vibration. Pulled the plugs and it looks a little lean but normal. Any ideas on why this would come on so quick, or what to check?

Thanks! :unsure:

Oh, 92 Heritage, Carb...

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Stuttering under load, ignition comes to mind. Check the coil, plug wires and plugs for signs of arcing. Do you have those fancy chrome caps to conceal the plugs? Lose them....
What igniton are you running?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Desert_Comm said:
Well it is winter here in Arizona, about 65 today, kinda cold.:harhar: .. Took the bike out and all going good. Ran about 100 miles and on trip home bike developed a shimmy,stutter feel. Hard to explain but really noticable. Riding along the road seemed real rough, stutter under load. Did some hills but felt it under any condition, just feels like I lost the smoothness with Acceleration . Got home put the bike on the jack and checked any play in the wheels, all felt tight and well. So I am thinking maybe it is more of a timing issue, stutter and Vibration. Pulled the plugs and it looks a little lean but normal. Any ideas on why this would come on so quick, or what to check?

Thanks! :unsure:

Oh, 92 Heritage, Carb...

Did you happen to fill up shortly before noticing the problem. Bad Gas? run a fresh tank through it before going crazy. Winter is a great time to have condensation problems with gas. Even in arizona, the gas has traveled before arriving there!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ViennaHog said:
Stuttering under load, ignition comes to mind. Check the coil, plug wires and plugs for signs of arcing. Do you have those fancy chrome caps to conceal the plugs? Lose them....
What igniton are you running?
The plugs are clean not to many miles, I did notice brown color on 1 side of the plug the rest mostly white (lean). The wires are new, Accel 8.8 silicon plus. SE non adjustable Ignition Module.

No Fancy chrome caps.

How do I check the Coil?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rickr01 said:
Did you happen to fill up shortly before noticing the problem. Bad Gas? run a fresh tank through it before going crazy. Winter is a great time to have condensation problems with gas. Even in arizona, the gas has traveled before arriving there!
Well I did fill up about a week ago right before I parked, Chevron Supreme, same station I always use. If it were gas I would think it would not have taken 80 miles before acting up.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Desert_Comm said:
Well I did fill up about a week ago right before I parked, Chevron Supreme, same station I always use. If it were gas I would think it would not have taken 80 miles before acting up.

Thanks for the help.

Nope, back to ignition! I was going for the simple first, but you ruled that out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I adjusted the primary chain today, had about an inch of play cold. Adjusted to spec. Checked torque on wheels, pipes and most other points I thought needed.

Stuttering may not be a good description. The feel is more of a vibration issue. The best way to explain in words would be, The normal vibration I had at 80 mph I now have at 60 mph. This is what came on quickly.

I can feel it in the floor boards and see it in the mirrors. Does that bring on any ideas as to what I should check? I sure could use some advice. :confused:

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Spend $4 and get two new plugs down at autozone. RN12YC I think, double check www.nightrider.com for that. I know 404 is the other number you can ask for them. Champions.

Cheap, easy way to see if its plugs or not.

Has the bike sat for a long time? Something crudded up in the fuel delivery and its running lean? Since its a 92, when was the carb last rebuilt?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have any sputtering or missing under acceleration load,check your coil. Mine was acting up and the coil was corroded up terrible where the wires plug in. Just a thought and easy to check.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Like the others said... check ignition and fuel first. My bike vibrates like that after sitting for a while, then it goes away after about 30 miles or so. No biggie.

Could also be the clutch. Change the oil and check the adjustment as per the service manual. Let us know if you find anything. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts