V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to install SE stage 1 a/c when I "found" plugs and cables connected to the plastic backplate of the filter... those are there for a sort of "valve" that limits the flow of the air throught the filter.

Here are some pics:

What am I supposed to do with the plug and the wires?! Should I just remove it and fix it somewhere without installing on the SE stage 1 (anyway, there's no way to plug the wires on the new backplate coz it doesnt have any valve ^rolleyez^ )?!

Does anybody know what has been done on their '06 dyna?!

ciao...

F

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Valve? Clean air A/C trapdoor orignally for California

I think you have a modification orignally listed in HD literature as being mandatory on motorcycles destined for sale in California. This 'trapdoor' exists to prevent evaporation of gasoline into the atmosphere when the motorcycle is not running.

In the States, many jurisdictions have adopted the California clean-air rules and it may be that there are some European areas which mandate these modifications as well. If this is not the case where you're at, feel free to remove it. Otherwise, you may be forced to do as many folks here are; replace all your performance mods with stock gear when annual emissions inspections are due.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Pippeis said:
I was going to install SE stage 1 a/c when I "found" plugs and cables connected to the plastic backplate of the filter... those are there for a sort of "valve" that limits the flow of the air throught the filter.

What am I supposed to do with the plug and the wires?! Should I just remove it and fix it somewhere without installing on the SE stage 1 (anyway, there's no way to plug the wires on the new backplate coz it doesnt have any valve ^rolleyez^ )?!

F
That is not for California. That is for international models - it is for noise emissions. If you take the air cleaner off (meaning remove the wires and flapper solenoid), it will throw codes. You need to look at the Screamin' Eagle reflash cartridges that will work w/o the O/E air cleaner to make the issue of throwing codes go away. Again - the post about it being for California is someones poor guess.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have to admit to looking at the pictures and struggling to understand what the contraption shown would do for either emissions or noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Harleyguy1998 said:
That is not for California. That is for international models - it is for noise emissions. If you take the air cleaner off (meaning remove the wires and flapper solenoid), it will throw codes. You need to look at the Screamin' Eagle reflash cartridges that will work w/o the O/E air cleaner to make the issue of throwing codes go away. Again - the post about it being for California is someones poor guess.

that's correct.
all the international spec dynas have this trap door.
please also remember that international dynas do not have O2 sensors.

it sounds logical to me that taking off the trap door will throw codes.
but maybe it will be possible to trick the system?
maybe fix the solenoid motor somewhere under the tank so it will operate blank - w/o really being involved in the intake system?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Wizwill said:
I think you have a modification orignally listed in HD literature as being mandatory on motorcycles destined for sale in California. This 'trapdoor' exists to prevent evaporation of gasoline into the atmosphere when the motorcycle is not running.

In the States, many jurisdictions have adopted the California clean-air rules and it may be that there are some European areas which mandate these modifications as well. If this is not the case where you're at, feel free to remove it. Otherwise, you may be forced to do as many folks here are; replace all your performance mods with stock gear when annual emissions inspections are due.
By all means, as Wizwill says, don't throw anything away....don't cut any wires, either. That's the California-style anti-vent valve. I believe it closes when the engine stops so that no vapors escape. My 1993 FLHS had one....for a while, heh heh. You may be needing it someday to pass the emissions test in your area. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bobber rider said:
please also remember that international dynas do not have O2 sensors.
I knew that only australian version have no O2 sensor... Mine is supposed to have the sensor.

Bobber rider said:
it sounds logical to me that taking off the trap door will throw codes.
but maybe it will be possible to trick the system?
You're right.

The dealer (rome- italy) checked it "somewhere" and they say that the right SE air filter for '06 dynas has probably yet to be produced. If you look at the catalogue you'll find some '06 dynas with SE stage but no product code. In other sites they says that the part no is the same as previous efi dyna models.

The fact is that the trap door is there and even with a stage 1 remap for '06 dynas is still working!!!

The dealer red that it works with the enrichener...

ciao...

F

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have an 06 HDI model with the flapper solenoid. Removing the solenoid threw a fault code (P0661 - OBDII); a logical code when the role of the solenoid is considered.

To prevent the code and still dispose of the component (physically has nowhere to go when changing to the SE air box backing plate), I inserted an 18 Ohm resistor across the plug (this approximated the measured resistance of the solenoid), sealed it and cable tied it out of harms way. Result - no code. I have seen some ugly attempted stealer fixes for the problem here in UK; but I think this is the best solution IMHO.

Bike is 06 Bob with BSS and FuelPak and for those with HDI models (not shipped with O2 sensors) I recommend you be selective when choosing a FuelPak map as the 06 maps are designed for use with bike WITH the O2 sensors; confirmed to me by V&H who appear oblivious to the different spec of HDI machines. I have now replaced 06 map with 05 equivalent with substantial improvements including eliminating at a stroke the PITA popping experienced previously.

Cheers :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts