V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my '04 Superglide on an '05 Heritage Classic with EFI. Love the ride, can't believe how much smoother the 88B engine is. However, I'm hearing a really strange noise. I tried a search and found responses dealing with taps and ticks and knocks etc, but nothing that sounds similar to the one I'm experiencing. I'll try to describe it, but it's not like anything I've ever heard from an engine before. If you can imagine a muffled and distant sound, kind of like what you would hear from something solid floating in a half full metal can when you move it and the 'floater' bounces off the sides of the can. I told you it was weird. This noise is intermittant, happening every few seconds, but not rythmic<sp> and at all speeds. Of course, much more noticable at low speed/idle. Appreciate any thoughts on what this might be.
Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weird noise from my Heritage

Posted this elsewhere on the forum, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try my luck here as well.

Just traded my '04 Superglide on an '05 Heritage Classic with EFI. Love the ride, can't believe how much smoother the 88B engine is. However, I'm hearing a really strange noise. I tried a search and found responses dealing with taps and ticks and knocks etc, but nothing that sounds similar to the one I'm experiencing. I'll try to describe it, but it's not like anything I've ever heard from an engine before. If you can imagine a muffled and distant sound, kind of like what you would hear from something solid floating in a half full metal can when you move it and the 'floater' bounces off the sides of the can. I told you it was weird. This noise is intermittant, happening every few seconds, but not rythmic<sp> and at all speeds. Of course, much more noticable at low speed/idle. Appreciate any thoughts on what this might be.
Thanks
Fred

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
fredcrn said:
This noise is intermittant, happening every few seconds, but not rythmic<sp> and at all speeds. Of course, much more noticable at low speed/idle. Appreciate any thoughts on what this might be.
Does it ever go away, or is it always there intermittantly?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always there. Been thinking of installing the automatic primary chain tensioner. Guess I'll try that and see if it resolves.
Fred

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
New one on me as far as bikes go. Look in the tank?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Fred, if the sound you are describing seems to be somewhat of a "clunking" noise, for lack a better words, I've experienced it as well. Just sitting at a stop light, then "clunk". It goes away and not noticed except at idle. My buddies have softails and they have experienced the same thing.

None of us have been able to "nail down" what it is. They took there bikes in to have them checked, and of course, the noise is "normal". I didn't bother.

Your bike probably has some warranty on it. Take it in and have it checked out. If you find out what it is, let us know here, please!

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic

See pix of my ride at...

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about too and I don't think you need to worry about it. It's sort of a clunk every once in a while at idle just like hoosierhog said, happening every 4 or 5 engine cycles. I think it's normal because mine's done it ever since I've had it (04 Heritage). It's just a sound, not anything like an extra vibration or movement. It seems like it's more of a "harmonic" or something of the exhaust.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Please do not cross/double post......Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike is definately under warranty. I sprung for extended, so I'm good for six years. I'm mostly just curious as to what it could be. I've never heard anything like it before. I'm almost positive it's not an external source. I'm guessing some sort of harmonic resonance from either the balancers or the cam chain. I'm not in a big hurry to rush in to the stealership and have them tell me it's 'normal', so I'll try to eliminate it, one way or another, myself.
Fred

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
My Heritage started making a little bit of noise when i would back off the throttle, kept getting louder so I took it in and the compensator nut had backed off. The wrench listened to my bike for 2 seconds and knew exactly what was wrong. Have it checked out... the primary chain can get thrown if the gear comes off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After taking it to the stealer and being told the noise was normal...without even listening to it!!!:nono: I was asking the sales guy if HE thought it normal to have the kind of noise I was experiencing, coupled with jerking at low speed, when the owner jumped in. Now have had primary adjusted, a 2500 mile service done (bike was 1/2 qt low on oil) and noise apparently gone:thumbsup: . Haven't had a chance to ride it, other than the short hop home, but it sure feels more responsive and quieter. Am going to order and install the hb125 tensioner in the near future.
Thanks to those who responded.
Fred

1 - 15 of 15 Posts