V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 FLHTCUI with 1200 miles. 1000 service done, put Redline Heavy Duty Shock proof in transmission. Primary chain is adjusted properly.

Ever since new this bike has shifted into neutral when going from 1st to 2nd gear (nearly every time). Goes into 2nd okay once in neutral but makes for a tough ride. I was hoping it would break in and cure itself but it hasn't happened yet.

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

I'm not a newbie, this is my 5th Harley.

Thanks in advance,

Mr.Clean

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Sounds like your not shifting with your heel hard enough. :huh:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of why I stated that I've had several HD's...this one shifts differently and sticks in neutral unless you "snap" it with more force than normal into 2nd.

It doesn't go through neutral and into 2nd...it goes into neutral then you can shift again to go into 2nd.

Maybe I'll put a little lapping compond in the tranny.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Mr.Clean said:
Maybe I'll put a little lapping compond in the tranny.
Yea, that'll cure it. :duh?: Not sure though, wonder if the shifting forks or the drum is out of wack?

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
If you are pretty sure it's not a case of shifting too lightly, then I would take it back too.

One thing you may want to do is adjust the postion of the heel/toe shifter. The way mine was set up was very poor and didn't fit me at all. I had a rough time finding neutral. I adjusted the shifter position and the problem went away.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I understand what you're saying about the heel shifter. Although I don't use it, if it's too close to the board it could prohibit a full cycle of the shifter. It does seem a little low, I'll move it up a notch and try it.

Thanks guys!

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Mr.Clean said:
I understand what you're saying about the heel shifter. Although I don't use it, if it's too close to the board it could prohibit a full cycle of the shifter. It does seem a little low, I'll move it up a notch and try it.

Thanks guys!
I don't use the heel shifter very much either. Mostly toe. On mine the heel was way too high and the toe was too low. Let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved the heel shifter up and took a 20 mile ride in the 40 degree air. I didn't have any problems with it stopping in neutral. I can tell by the way it feels that the heel shifter was in the way.

Thanks for the good advice...

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Well that was easy! I too had a similar problem but not as severe. For me I guess it was the stock primarly adjuster shoe, which was always adjusted correctly. I put in the HB-125 and now have no problems. Glad yours was so easily fixed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Great call, Mr. Clean. Glad that fixed it. You followed the number one rule in troubleshooting: look for the most obvious and simple-to-fix solution first. It's usually the problem. Like checking to see if the lamp is plugged in before you start changing bulbs and cutting into the wiring. Some people always assume the worst and start tearing things apart, only to create a worse problem or waste a lot of time at the least.

RB

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
RB Jones said:
Some people always assume the worst and start tearing things apart, only to create a worse problem or waste a lot of time at the least.
do you know my wife? what did she tell you?

anyways, i CANNOT find nuetral on my 06 RK, only 700 miles,
bike has to be moving, or have to rev it up at the stop lite and jab around to find nuetral.

it shifts fine going up & down, and will go into nuetral okay if rolling pretty good - but if the traffic light the changes quick, you can't do it at a stop.

it's a FREAKING BEAR in stop and go traffic, like pulling up to the Id check going on base, it's easier to shut it off than to find nuetral ( to release clutch and get ID out)

will normal wear make it easier?

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
mr clean what your saying is you have to jab at the shifter twice to get into second so it will no stop at neutural. the bike is new so i would just bring it back to the dealer. the longer you wait the more thell blame you for the problem. id also check around to see if any kind of service bulletin came out about this problem. -2$en#e-
You better do it quick so you'll have it in time for the end of summer!:boobies:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts