V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake lights quit working when I apply the front brake. I had the Harley turn/brake light adapter installed and I removed it to make sure that wasn't the problem. Still won't work. I checked the Maintenance Manual and it looks lik a bit of a pain to replace the front switch. The wiring diagram doesn't show a fuse so I'm guessing it has to be the switch. Rear brake pedal stoplight works fine. Has anyone had a problem with this? The bike just turned over 5k miles.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try giving it a cleaning first.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Dawg, the switch is fused to a fuse labled ACCY and is a 15 amp fuse. It also supplies the rear brake switch so that is not the problem. I've had my switch housing apart multiple times but haven't noticed how the switch is mounted. I doubt it has an adjustment. I have heard that those who fail putting a card board spacer between the lever and housing when reassembling run a risk of damaging the switch though. The only other thought I have is the master cylinder fluid level....possibly if the fluid level was not down the required 1/8 in from the top that the lever pressure may keep it from pulling far enough in to activate switch. Kind of far fetched I know but just thought I would throw that in. It sounds like a bad switch but I don't know. Hope you resolve it and let us know.

Later,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts