V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had two bikes stolen during the AMA races last Saturday. Both Softail models, with no locks on the front end. One of the two even had the secutity system, but no siren, just the flashing lights.

5000 people wandering around, and the alam didn't draw any attention at all. Keep hearing the stories about the four guys, pipes, and a van. Keep hearing about bikes dumped over onto a low trailer.

What I keep seeing is the biks with no build it fork lock gettin pushed around the corner, and then loaded up on a truck. All I can say is lock em up, and at least make em work for it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bikes. I hope you somehow get them back and they catch the lowlifes who did it. I 've had two cars stolen and my Kawi ZX-7 was stolen back in '93. God help the next person I catch trying to steal any of my vehicles. I don't call myself gunslinger for nothing.....

Tony:mad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
FLHP said:
What I keep seeing is the biks with no build it fork lock gettin pushed around the corner, and then loaded up on a truck. All I can say is lock em up, and at least make em work for it.
What is "build it fork lock"???

What is the best way to lock up your bike??? I have seen brake rotor locks. What has worked the best???

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just got the new American Iron mag and there's an article on bike theft in it. They don't come right out and say it but make reference to the quality of Kryptonite break rotor locks and the Conneticut State Police Sergeant that is in charge of the state's motorcycle theft unit reccommends the break lock and "The Club" made for motorcycles.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Re: Re: Stolen Motorcycles

03FLSTCI said:

What is "build it fork lock"???
I think he meant built in fork lock. Some customs and older bikes don't have the handy key lock next to the handlebar clamp.

What is the best way to lock up your bike??? I have seen brake rotor locks. What has worked the best???
Just like with securing any thing - make it hard enough so the crooks go looking for an easier target. Nothing is theft proof. I usually lock the ignition and forks when I will still be within eyeshot (like sitting in a restaraunt) since it only takes a second. If I can't see it I'll use a rotor lock and try to park in a way that would be difficult access for a trailer or flatbed to lift it with a winch. I have yet to go to a real "high theft risk" area so I haven't yet invested in a cable lock to tie it to a tree or something.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My '94 FXDWG was stolen from in front of the Easy Riders store in Coconut Grove (Miami) at 2 o'clock in the afternoon a week before Christmas (shoppers everywhere). The Easy Riders clerk said she saw someone get on it and ride off. She wondered why I hadn't locked my bike. Well, I'm POSITIVE the forks and ignition were locked so that leads me to believe there aren't very many combinations for the barrel key locks or there is a master key. But I've also heard the Dyna fork locks aren't very strong and are easily defeated as is the ignition switch.

Needless to say I equipped my '95 with an alarm and disc lock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The article in AIM states a pair of channel locks will twist the barrel-lock ignition on big twins with no problem. "You would be amazed how many people don't even lock their bike. " Working Dayton we checked 120 bikes that where going to be towed, 10 out of every 25 where not locked. :eek:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
First Get a sidecar Second, put a 200 pound rotwieler who likes to eat people in it. Lastly Hang a sign around his neck that says "I'll bet you'll tase good!".

Locks only keep honest people honest. Crooks will save you money on dog food.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good ideas all. But all you can do is minimize the risk of theft. If they want it bad enough, they will get it. They have the means to cruise through neighborhoods and open garage doors at random with electric openers looking for a bike to take...guy I work with had his R1 stolen off his porch when he was home etc. etc. It sucks. What this country needs is the return of chain gangs as punishment.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
FXDeanX said:
Take your spark plug wires with you.
Dean
Try that on a Bagger. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
584 Posts
HarleyHog,

Haven't gotten my RK yet, but why is it hard to take the spark plug wires off of a Bagger? I'm sure this is a stupi question, but I'll ask it anyway.
J.T.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have factory security with siren. I added a Radio Shack piezo element to the security system, so now my bike quietly/steadily 'chirps' while the system is on and ready.
Not at all loud, but if you are within 10' of my scoot you hear a beep every second.
I also use a >1'' snake cable to secure it sometimes. It may be bolt cutter proof but it would be no match for a side grinder.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Alarm chirper

I like the idea of the alarm system chirpping. It would also remind me that it was on.

Where did you add the piezo element into the factory security system. Is something you could explain on the board in this limited space?

·
Registered
119 Posts
While I agree if the thief is determined he will get your bike regardless of what you do. This being said I like the pager add on for alram systems. (http://www.harleysecurity.com) this way when they mess with it it sends me a page and gives me a chance to catch em in the act, and god help em if I do cause my HK USP 45 is not very forgiving. Another option is LoJack, LoJack installs into your car/bike security system or as a stand alone product and allows for GPS tracking of the vehicle, and the possability of shutting down the fuel supply to the vehicle.

The Club for a car is a joke, I used to install car security systems and used the club to sell the alarms. I bought a new steering wheel every week from the junkyard and put it in a vise on the bunch with a club attatched to it. Then id give the client a stop watch and say go, next id cut through the steering wheel inside of 10 seconds, (i had lots of practice but its quite easy) with a standard hacksaw and removed the club and voila no more security system. I really had to laugh when id see cars like vipers or vettes with the club and that being there only security measure (other then the built in resister on the key).

I personally have the pager system on my Vrod and it works well, i did not ad a siren because first no one pays attention to them anymore and second i figure someone might just push the bike over if the siren goes off just to cause damage in there fleeing. Other then the pager add on i lock the forks and thats about it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
fearnot69 said:
HarleyHog,
Haven't gotten my RK yet, but why is it hard to take the spark plug wires off of a Bagger? I'm sure this is a stupi question, but I'll ask it anyway.
J.T.

For ya to take a plug lead off an RK to wander off for five minutes then return and fit them/it again doesn't make sence.

They are hard to get at where they go into the HT coil, then they're routed up and under the fuel tank through clips. Just not worth it when the bastards'll just load it up and drive off if they want it that bad.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chops,

I, to, would like more info on the piezo element. Do you have a Radio Shack part number, cost? Can you explain where and how you wired it in?

Thanks.

JohnC - Topeka KS
2003 Road King Classic
2001 Fat Boy

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I remember a camping trip to a Texes State Park where my buddy had locked a Kryptonite rotor lock on his bike the night before. Next morning, the key wouldn't unlock it. The 6 feet 6 inch , 300lbs park ranger was real nice...said he had cut many a lock off with his big pair of bolt cutter. He worked on that lock half the morning. Never got it off. Should have heard his adjectives of (KRYPTONITE). We rode home that afternoon with the rotor and lock bungied to the sleeping bag.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'll put something together on the security beep....
It's kind of funny watching people trying to figure out where the beep is coming from sometimes, and why is my bike beeping.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts