Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Have aftermarket seat and hate it

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people ponied up the extra bones to get a nice seat like Corbin, Mustang or any of the other expensive seats. I just ordered a Corbin based on some of the things said here. Just wondering what other people have done.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just bought a '01 FatBoy. The seat sucks!! I was looking at a Corbin until I read the foam they use is twice as hard/stiff as a stock seat so I passed. I am buying a Lepera "Sorrento Sport" Monday. I'll let everyone know my opinion when I get it and ride and put some miles on it! oh yea...I wiegh 175lbs...which probably makes a difference....

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
My RK came with a mini-touring aligator seat, very sleek, but I can only do about 2 hours before my keister starts barking. I'm 6'4", with this seat I'm looking over the top of the windshield

I ordered a mustang regal touring seat, mucho more padding, so my keister is happier BUT it I find I'm sitting up higer (2-3 inches) and forward.

I have taken to using the mini-touring seat for short rides (2-3 hours) and the mustang seat for longer rides. Its a piece of cake to swap them out (about 2 minutes).

I still find that I need to get off the bike every 100 miles or so to keep my keister happy. I ride alone most of the time so I just top off my tank frequently, drink a cold soda, then I'm ready for more.

wyodude

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a 84 lowrider we both liked the seat, but it got a hole torn into it. So I replaced it with a saddelman, I liked it , she hated it.
Then got a 97 standard, the seat sucked, I put a Ultra seat on it, We loved it.
Now I've got a 2000 Ultra and the seat is great , and its staying :)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The stock seats on the Electra Glides are among the best in the industry. I'm going to keep my stock seat on my 2000 FLHTC.

However, not every H/D seat is so comfortable. 'guess that's what the after market is all about. And I agree, sometimes a seat can be very comfortable for a rider and very uncomfortable for a passenger.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Texxen said:
I just bought a '01 FatBoy. The seat sucks!! I was looking at a Corbin until I read the foam they use is twice as hard/stiff as a stock seat so I passed. I am buying a Lepera "Sorrento Sport" Monday. I'll let everyone know my opinion when I get it and ride and put some miles on it! oh yea...I wiegh 175lbs...which probably makes a difference....
The foam that Corbin uses is designed that way on purpose. Its called "support" which your stock seat lacks. The firmer foam is much better on your backside over a long distance ride. And the Corbin does tend to "break in" unlike alot of other manufacturer's seats. They are a great seat and well worth the price!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just got my corbin solo and I have to say its great! No more tailbone pain.
The seat is shaped in a bucket form and a little lower. Very firm, but great.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2002 FLHT with the stock seat and a little over 2000 miles. For the first few hundred miles the seat felt comfy except it kept sliding my butt forward shortly into any ride. Now the seat feels harder and it slides me forward even quicker. Can't figure out why it does that, but will need to do something about it before a trip of any length. I am 6'2" and 205. if that makes any difference. My wife loves the passenger portion now that we have the sissy bar/pad in place.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree with pasadenajim. The stock seat on my FLHT is great. I did 4 - 500 mile days in April and didn't have any problem. Well, on the last day I did start to squirm quite a bit. :D

I'm thinking of going with a Mustang solo and backrest for local riding. Hey Ralph, was that your FLHT in the picture galary with the solo? How do you like it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why did HD put cheap seats on the RK

I cannot understand why HD would use such inferior seats. I rode a 1974 Honda 550 over 400 miles a day in the late 70's, and my 02 Road King seat is very similar. This is my first Harley, and my experience is not positive.:(

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a Danny Gray seat (unknown model) which was very expensive but well worth it. I find it very comfortable. I mostly sit my behind on a Le Pera Bare Bones solo seat. Most people would find it uncomfortable but I sat on it from LA to Laughlin this year with no problems. I couldn't stand the stock seat, it was the very first thing I changed when I brought my bike home.

Tony:cool:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: Why did HD put cheap seats on the RK

russell1755 said:
I cannot understand why HD would use such inferior seats.
Easy. Aftermarket products are lucrative, HD makes 'em too!

wyo

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Seats

The newer stock Dyna seats REALLY suck.
I swapped my 2001 seat for a 2000 wide glide seat. Better, but not best.
I really need the lower back support and I'm considering the Saddleman King seat. Anybody have any feedback on Saddleman?

·
Registered
565 Posts
The stock seat on my 02 Heritage is very comfortable for 1000 mile weekend trips, but it really needs a removable backrest. I bought the HD seat with the adjustable backrest but it makes me sit 1.5 inches foward and 2 inches taller, plus it makes me slide foward when braking. It was a total waste of money! Looks like a Corbin Tour seat may be the way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I concur. My RK Classic seat sucks! After an hour or so my but hurts and my legs start to ache.

From my research, it is caused by being too soft and not enough support (I'm 5'10" 175).

I'v emailed corbin three times over three weks and not one answer. I like the way their foam works for support, but am getting quite displeased with their lack of support.

I was looking at HD touring seats, but could find nothing on their composition. Like it is a secret or something. I love their bikes, I'm just not that crazy about some of the parts they use on it;)

Doc

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tried an experiment on my FLHT this last weekend before our Poker Run. Took a piece of plastic closed-cell foam and cut out a 2"w x 8"L x 3/8" H piece, placed this under the seat as far forward as it would go. This raised the crotch area of the stock seat slightly. Now the tendancy to slide forward is reduced so I don't have to keep repositioning my butt every mile. Since this is a no cost modification it could be worth trying for various seat complaints, if it doesn't help your ride, no big deal. A 1/4" to 3/8" thick piece of rubber on top of the frame on both sides, under the seat, would probably provide the same.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Doc Naumo said:
I concur. My RK Classic seat sucks! After an hour or so my but hurts and my legs start to ache. From my research, it is caused by being too soft and not enough support (I'm 5'10" 175).

I was looking at HD touring seats, but could find nothing on their composition. Like it is a secret or something. I love their bikes, I'm just not that crazy about some of the parts they use on it;)
Doc
Doc, I'm 5'10" and about 215. I replaced the stock seat on my RK with the H-D Touring Seat because I wasn't really all that comfortable on longer trips and wife REALLY wasn't. While it has improved, I think I'll be switching to a Mustang seat sometime in next year or so. Everyone I've ever talked to swears by the Mustangs.

Would I recommend the H-D Touring Seat? Not really.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Unome,

I was looking at Mustang and Corbin. Decided to give Corbin a try.

I looked initially at HD, but I couldn't find any information on their seats, so they made that decision easier.

Best of luck with the Mustang.

Doc

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually this seems rather strange to me. Why would a company such as H-D make seats that often require replacement. The cost of the bikes would seem to mandate that good seats be used. And if you are going to be putting the money into making a seat why not make one that is popular? I would not think that most people would go to Harley for their replacement so they would not gain much money from them. Is it because most riders would dislike the stock seat anyway, even if it was exactly like a -say, a Mustang or Corbin model? I think my stock FLHT seat is well made, just not very comfortable or supportive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mustang Regal Touring for me and my wife. Rode 400 miles week-end before last and my butt was just fine. Hers was good also. A bad seat makes moma not enjoy the ride,,well you know the rest. My stock Road King seat was junk as far as I am concerned.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts