V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just (2 weeks) got my 2002 Night Train, and have 600 miles on it! I was wondering if I can do anything to the stock suspension to get that 2 inch drop everybody told me about. Can I adjust the stock ones or do I have to buy new ones. Also, any suggestions on how to do this?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I dropped my 02 Fatboy 1.75", by means of Arlen Ness shock extenders (rear only).
To drop the front you have to change out fork springs.
Many different products to do the same thing....I can put mine back to stock height in about 10 minutes if I desired.
Some will argue that it drastically changes the geometry and handling capability, well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to quantify the geometry, but if anything it handles better - but this is just my opinion with my ride.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dropped my 02 FLSTFI 1.5" with the HD front lowering kit and the Ness rear kit. Looks awesome, easier for me to touch the ground (not a real tall guy here) and I have not really noticed anything bad in the handling department other than the occasional floorboard scraping in a real radical turn.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I lowered my 01 fxst using Arlen Ness kit but found that when riding double or packed for a trip plus I go around 275 #, I was bottoming out often so I added 'Big Red springs' sold by Custom Chrome,. They are rated at 1100 psi compared to stock 800 psi. The combo works well but it would have been easier to just buy the lowered shocks from HD or Progressive Suspension because the kit and springs cost around$275 and then you need a press to disassemble and reassemble the stock shocks. JMHO. Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts