V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
mikessoftail said:
hey guys.you like hear the harley sound punch out the plug in your stock pipes .they sound better then se2 pipes.
But that is illegal and I wouldnt want to get into trouble by the EPA:whistle: I am :xhere:

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's only a couple of us here that run factory exhaust.
Most stock pipes have been used to punch out the sides of dumpsters.:)

I prefer them myself. Too me, the "Harley Sound" comes from the unique firing sequence and charactoristics. Not the db.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm another one of the rare fellows that prefer the stock exhaust. For the first 5000 miles I had the SEII slip ons on my Heritage Classic, and they always seemed too loud to me. Finally, I put the stock ones back on and sold the SEII's on eBay. Now I am completely satisfied. I really like the sound of the stock mufflers, I think they sound more "Harley" than the loud ones every one else is running. Lots of low frequency sound of power with the characteristic Harley firing order pulsing, and you can hear yourself think while you are riding. If I wanted my bike to sound like a tractor pull participant the SEII's would be great, but I want my bike to sound like a Harley based on MY definition of what a Harley should sound like. Yeah, I know, you younger fellows think a Harley should be loud, but I don't, I think it should sound like a Harley and that is the unique sound of the firing order and the low frequency pulses from the large cylinder volume. Loud mufflers have nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Even though I do agree with you, I'd like to emphasize that stock mufflers = NO SOUND AT ALL. I repeat: no sound at all. Total silence, just wind around you. And no sound at all is NOT a Harely heritage. So.........if you are INSIDER, in-the-Harley-game you gotta love and ask for at least louder muffs. That is what I think. And even though taking into account that I am fully aware that loud(er) mufflers lead to hearing damages! But.....that's bikers' life. Like once upon a time "Fatboy" said "if you do not like this kind of game, go ahead and buy a car".

Of course, this is nothing "against" you Tommy, just my opinion.

Best

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have a 03 FLSTCI and went with the SE torque slip ons. they're not as loud as the SE IIs but louder and more power than stock. I started with cycle shack full exhaust system and they were too loud for my taste.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
emirharley:

No sound at all? None at all? My stock mufflers certainly do make sound, and a heck of a lot more than a factory automobile. They sound really good. I get plenty of engine exhaust sound, especially when I am using a bit of throttle, like accelerating or going up a hill. The only difference is that this sound is not really LOUD, it is more civilized. I cannot agree with you that the stock mufflers equal no sound. Different sound, less sound, yes, but not no sound.

My wife can hear me coming home as I accelerate up our street from a block away. It is the kind of sound that says "Harley coming" but not the kind of sound that says "Loud Harley coming"...

Different strokes for different folks. Let us agree to disagree and let's both enjoy our machines!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am fully aware that loud(er) mufflers lead to hearing damages! But.....that's bikers' life.
Which probably explains the following statement--:)
stock mufflers = NO SOUND AT ALL. I repeat: no sound at all. Total silence
If you look at my avatar you will see my previous straight pipes. I installed factory exhaust as an experiment and preferred the more conservative tone. Of course, I also think women dressed in professional business suits look sexier, when compared to those dressed scantily-clad. Maybe I'm just odd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try them - you'll like them ......

I have evolved twice - have an '05 Road King - dealer talked me into SE2's out the door (last March 18) - never heard the RK with stock mufflers. I really thought the SE2's sounded bad (to me) but used them for 3K miles. I went back to stock mufflers for the next 5K miles (it is now Dec '05) - then, a miraculous thing happened - I heard a set of V&H Ovals at the dealer - now that's music - nice low rumble, not obnoxious - I had to have a set. I have had them on for about 500 miles so far and they are very nice - not too loud, you can hear them at speed - they sound to me what a Harley should sound like (which is 50% of the reason I bought one). I am installing true duals tomorrow to keep my wife's leg from burning so badly this summer ( I know I'll lose a little torque). If you haven't heard Ovals yet, do listen - to me, they are the best. (60 year old retired teacher)

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
To Tommy: yeah, that is the truth - no sound at all, even with wide open throttle. OK, I do not mean LITERALLY no sound at all, but you know what I mean. Since my bike is an 2001 EUROPEAN RKC model, maybe there is certain difference. You can hear just the wind and the sound of an engine. No mufflers' sound you can hear during the ride. Whatsoever you mount ON the bike, you still have YOUR bike, so enjoy the ride and the life and be safe.

To Ka-Ka: no comment AT ALL, too.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
My bread and butter IS the motorcycle exhaust indusrty (80% of that is off road).

In the near future there may be no aftermarket exhaust, the EPA keeps changing sound emissions limits to the point where we will not be able to remove the stock exhaust. The trend is leaning to a more quiet exhaust.
Off road riding parks require sound tests that you must pass, too loud, on the trailer or a fine.

ALL stock mufflers have the EPA legal mumbo jumbo stamped in them. technically you cannot remove them, once they really start to crack down if you have no EPA mumbo jumbo on the muffler = ticket.

Europe has exhaust restrictions so tight that you are better off with the stock muffler.

California is lowering the Db limits every month it seems (for off road)

Looks like the "loud pipes save lives" has changed to "less sound = more ground"

·
Registered
271 Posts
brownjams said:
I have a 03 FLSTCI and went with the SE torque slip ons. they're not as loud as the SE IIs but louder and more power than stock. I started with cycle shack full exhaust system and they were too loud for my taste.

good luck and ride safe.

I like the sound of my "slightly modified" stock mufflers.
I did not pull the plugs out, I drilled a few 1/4" holes in them a couple at a time until I had the volume I like.
I can leave quietly in the morning without pissing off the neighbors.
It sounds good when I get on it also.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depluged stock pipes actualy flow better than SEII's, the SEII's are a few db louder, but Dyno #'s are so close on a stock TC88 with the SE/K&N aircleaner/filter and stage 1 down load that it's hard to spend the $$$ for the SEII's

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Have to agree with Tommy on the loud and obnoxious sound of some of the pipes that people put on their bikes. However, each person should (and does) with their bike what they want. A lot of people are fooled into believing that others like to hear their obnoxious sounding pipes. There is a huge difference in the sound of a $150 exhaust and one you spend money on. Not saying one is better than the other, but I like the nice deep rumble of a good exhaust. To me that is a classic Harley sound. There is nothing worse than riding behind or beside someone with the cheap ass exhaust system. The tone itself is enough to turn my stomach. But, once again, it is their bike and their money. I always find it quite funny that people ask for subjective information on an objective topic (exhuast and how loud or the sound).

Ted, you will be happy with the bagger duals and the ovals. I have the same set up on my RKC. Having a 37g put in this week and in a couple of weeks will have it out to the dyno. Just leaving the damn motor stock for now (88ci/stock heads) not sure if I will do any more in the future either. Damn thing runs great and sounds awsome.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
my stock 06 dyna WAS so quiet that i couldnt even tell which gear i was in.so i drilled the plugs( 3 1/8 inch holes) and it sounded like @#@$.
then i knockeck out the plugs, still sounde like [email protected]@#.
so i used the plasma cutter, and mimicked the SE mufflers, welding the tubes back in. BINGO!!!!!
so after that i installed a set of khrome werks slip ons and they were too loud.
i think the best compromise would be the 50 state SE mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
If you want to use your stock head pipes, I stronly recommend replacing the cans with cycle shacks slip-on. great power and sound and the stock look retained.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I do not agree with fxdl raw that expensive mufflers = the good quality mufflers. No way. I am perfect example for that. I have had the most expensive Screamin' Eagle Muffs EVER (European price is more than US$ 1,000.00 !) and now I run Wild Pig Pipes. Cheap pipes/muffs like you said. So, just to inform you that I would never swop my "cheap" Wild Pigs for ten sets of extremely expensive Screamin' Eagle sh!t! No way.

Just my 2 cents.

Best

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently switched from a BMW R1150RT to a '06 Road Glide. The Beemers are an extremely quiet bike, to the point of no exhaust sound and being able to hear the internal engine sounds. The RG is still stock in every way, but I would be interested in quieter mufflers that increase engine performance. Is there a product that would accomplish this? Or is a quiet perfomance Harley an oxymoron.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I like loud pipes. Like 'em a lot. But, I am getting a little long in the tooth now and have the high tone hearing loss that comes from spending too much time around loud noises--bikes, shooting sports, rock n roll, a noisy factory job, and shrieking women. So, while I like listenening to you rumble by with your loud pipes, I run the touring slip-ons so I can preserve what little hearing I have left.

You can joke that it's a biker's life, but you don't know how much you like hearing until you can't anymore.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Banned
871 Posts
emirharley said:
Even though I do agree with you, I'd like to emphasize that stock mufflers = NO SOUND AT ALL. I repeat: no sound at all. Total silence, just wind around you. And no sound at all is NOT a Harely heritage. So.........if you are INSIDER, in-the-Harley-game you gotta love and ask for at least louder muffs. That is what I think. And even though taking into account that I am fully aware that loud(er) mufflers lead to hearing damages! But.....that's bikers' life. Like once upon a time "Fatboy" said "if you do not like this kind of game, go ahead and buy a car".
I have to agree with you. If they don't like the sound, buy a Honda or a Lincoln. A Harley's sound is unique and part of it's history. Stock pipes = no sound and very, very poor performance. You are losing as much as 45% of your power and torque with them. Aftermarket pipes are the way to go. I use the V&H Pro-Pipe and it's an excellent exhaust. Performance is as good as it gets, and they are not very loud while cruising. Crank it, and they will speak up, though! :D My hearing is already shot from riding and working on jet engines for over 25 years, so it has to be pretty loud to bother me now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts