V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shop Rag
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE STOCK PIPES ON MY 2001 ROADGLIDE, EXPLODED RIGHT WHERE THE EXHAUST PIPE ON THE LEFT SIDE IS WELDED TO THE PIPE ON THE RIGHT, IT CAN'T BE WELDED THERE IS LITERALLY A HOLE THE SIZE OF A SOFTBALL. ANY IDEAS WHY THIS HAPPENED?, THE MOTOR RUNS STRONG! ALSO WHAT TYPE OF PIPES SHOULD I BUY AS A REPLACEMENT, IM LOOKING FOR PERFORMANCE, I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT 2 INTO 1 PIPES, BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT BRAND? i'M ALSO RHINKING ABOUT BUYING A POWERCOMMANDER, BUT I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OTHER MODULES ON THE MARKET.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
STOP YELLING!!!

you've asked a lot of questions for a single post. thus I will direct you to the search function (not in that "do search you prick" sort of way, though). There is a ton of information on the benefits of 2 into 1 and what brands people prefer. there is also a ton of information on the tuners and fuel modules. It would literally take years to recreate all this information for you.

if we are going to help answer exaust and tuner questions we will need to know what mods, if any, you run currently and what your final goals are. "performance" is a little vague.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Cracking a the Y pipe is common, it happend to me 4 times. Never heard of the Y pipe exploding though.

My solution was to go to Rinehart trueduals. There are obviously many other options.

For 2 into 1's have a look at the Bassani Road Rage.

I would recommend the SERT over a PC,b ut others have used them (PCs) successfully.

regards,

wyo

·
Shop Rag
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dfrooney said:
STOP YELLING!!!

you've asked a lot of questions for a single post. thus I will direct you to the search function (not in that "do search you prick" sort of way, though). There is a ton of information on the benefits of 2 into 1 and what brands people prefer. there is also a ton of information on the tuners and fuel modules. It would literally take years to recreate all this information for you.

if we are going to help answer exaust and tuner questions we will need to know what mods, if any, you run currently and what your final goals are. "performance" is a little vague.
I GOT THE CRANE 290 GRIND, OTHERWISE ITS STOCK

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
exaust:
2 into 1 will generally provide the best performance. everyone has their own opinion on what brand is best...off the top of my head, I seem to see thunderheader mentioned most often. If you want the performance of the 2-1 with a stock look, some companies offer a falsie pipe for the left side (although I think it's a bit couterproductive since it adds weight which reduces the effectiveness of the horsepower gain from the 2-1).

tuners:
you already have an upgraded cam so the simple fuel modules will probably not be enough in the long run. PowerCommander is probably your lowest option with the race tuner being the top option. If you plan a lot of mods and really want to squeak every last little bit of power out of it, you'll want the race tuner.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
when he ask you to stop yelling he was asking for you to turn off your caps lock. that is considered yelling by typing in caps. good luck with your questions.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
dfrooney said:
STOP YELLING!!!

Perhaps he's a little deaf...I know I would be if my exhaust exploded.

I agree with Wyo...Rineharts and a SERT, that's that way I'd go if I had money.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Seems like I read of an exploded muffler (with pics) at some other H-D forum. This might be the same one....sounds kind of like it. I don't recall the answers or advice.

T113

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
brownjams said:
when he ask you to stop yelling he was asking for you to turn off your caps lock. that is considered yelling by typing in caps. good luck with your questions.
There are some VTF members with vision problems. Typing in all caps helps them see the text.

On Macs you can enlarge the font by pressing "the apple key" and "+". On PCs I think it's "Control" and "+".

regards,

wyo

·
Shop Rag
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trooper113 said:
Seems like I read of an exploded muffler (with pics) at some other H-D forum. This might be the same one....sounds kind of like it. I don't recall the answers or advice.

T113
No this is the only motorcycle web-site that im a member of, and my pipe itself blew up not the mufflers, there fine. My right muffelr used to come off all the time and I would have to re-tighten it , then I got fed up and sciliconed it on, and about three weeks later boom!!!! on the freeway doin 70mph, m muffler started skipping on the freeway INK, DINK , DINK but it was still attached to the saddle bag area mount. pretty weird stuff.:hmmm:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Haunyawk said:
No this is the only motorcycle web-site that im a member of, and my pipe itself blew up not the mufflers, there fine. My right muffelr used to come off all the time and I would have to re-tighten it , then I got fed up and sciliconed it on, and about three weeks later boom!!!! on the freeway doin 70mph, m muffler started skipping on the freeway INK, DINK , DINK but it was still attached to the saddle bag area mount. pretty weird stuff.:hmmm:
Ah...okay. The post I was thinking about was, I believe, the left muffler on a bike that had a large hole blown in it.

T113

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Interesting. Is your motor stock?

Anyway if you want a 2 into 1 I can recommend the V&H propipe. I had that pipe on my '02 RG and you can see pics by going to the link below in my sig and then navagating to the album on the '02 RG. If you want to keep the stock mufflers then I would go back with the stock headpipes, they give you the best back pressure and better performance than a true dual set up. if you want a true dual set up the V&H true dual headpipes would work with your stock slip on mufflers or any other muffler of your choice. On my '06 RG ai kept the stock headpipes and went with the mufflers by www.fullsac.com.

Welcome to the site and take a look at the RG thread over on the touring bike section. Later, RG.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I know it's not funny but I'll bet that was a suprise when it blew up.:yikes:

I wonder if the right side muffer was plugged up? Did the bike run OK? If it was stopped up you'd think the exhaust would just exit out the left side. Maybe not, and the back pressure built up to the point it gave out at the weakest point. Where the pipes were welded together.

As far a pipes that's your choice. There's lots of info here. Find what looks and sounds best to you.

Seems like I remember some kids sticking potatoes up exhaust pipes a few years ago.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Vance and Hines Pro pipe is a popular 2-1. They do sound little differant. I have cracked my Y and got it rewelded. If it goes again and I have the money will look into 2-1.

IMO baggers are good place for 2-1 since bags hide it. Please don't get the fake pipe on the left side, you will regret yourself in the morning.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If that left side muffler came that loose, then the support bracket that mounts to the starter bolts also has a problem. You also may have a problem at the rear of the muffler. If the support bracket there breaks, it puts everything else under stress and vibration will get to the header pipe.

Everything there needs to be inspected thoroughly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts