V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good tips on how to remove the stock grips on my 02 Ultra without ruining them? I find the stock grips to be sticky....at least I think its the grips:rolleyes:

·
Registered
903 Posts
It is the grips. Humidity was soaring today and I was sticking to the grips like brown on ****

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did it the easy way and just cut the left grip off, I replaced with the soft padded H-D brand...much better now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hair dryer

·
Registered
9 Posts
New grips... help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought some new flame H-D grips. I have a 2000 Heritage Softail. After wrestling the glued left one off, and trying to slide the new one on, it doesn't seem to want to go on all the way. It needs to go another inch or so. Inside the grip there seem to be some "teeth" at the closed end. I did not force or pound them on...Am I doing something wrong? I do know that my handlebars are not from a Heritage Softail. I seem to remember they were maybe from a Dyna? But the grips seemed to be the right diameter, they weren't loose or sloppy. HELP please?

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
@gree: I've changed grips dozens of times, never saw a need to keep the harley stock ones. I vote for the razor blade for the left, the right comes off easy. As for puttin the new ones on, many moons ago we used cheap hairspray like Aquanet.. They slip on easy and that stuff holds them like glue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
New grips... help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought some new flame H-D grips. I have a 2000 Heritage Softail. After wrestling the glued left one off, and trying to slide the new one on, it doesn't seem to want to go on all the way. It needs to go another inch or so. Inside the grip there seem to be some "teeth" at the closed end. I did not force or pound them on...Am I doing something wrong? I do know that my handlebars are not from a Heritage Softail. I seem to remember they were maybe from a Dyna? But the grips seemed to be the right diameter, they weren't loose or sloppy. HELP please?
Are you sure you have the right grips? Reason I ask, is that you mentioned that there appear to be teeth in the end of the grip. The newer model Harleys (starting in 2008 on some models), that have "throttle by wire", have teeth in the end of the grip to engage with the plastic "gear" on the end of the handlebars. Just sayin, it sounds like you might have the wrong grips.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Easy-peasy: Force a medium screwdriver underneath the rubber grip and spray some WD40 down along side the screwdriver. Work the screwdriver deeper and around a little. Spray a little more WD40. Usually they'll slide off in mere seconds with very little effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just twist them off by hand. It doesnt damage them at all doing it this way. I did this with my 2008 Super Glide and now my 2012 Street Glide. I guess I did it so soon after buying the bikes new, the grips hadn't had time to really set.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.