V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have punched out the plugs on my 2002 dyna super glide and really like the sound. What I would like to know is do I need to rejet? I have not changed the ac or anything else. This is a carb model.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
I did the same to my Low Rider before switching to Cycle Shacks. If you leave the intake alone you shouldn't have to re-jet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Punching out plug

Hi,
I just oicked up a 2001 FXST and like it to be alitttle louder. Till I get some new pipes, I like to punch out the plug. Where is the plug located? Would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Mahr57

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Take a flashlight and look in your pipes. See the plug.

Punching out the plugs is as easy as well its easy:

Take off slip ons
Use big hammer and 1/2 galv. water pipe or any steel rod.
Set pipe on wood block
Puch out plugs .
Reinstall pipes.

For better preformance rejet carb.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'd also like a little more sound from my stock pipes. My bike is a 2002 883 Custom. Will adjusting the air/fuel mixture reduce the decel popping at all?

If I can avoid rejetting but still get a little louder sound from my bike this will definately be the way I'll go. But if I've got to rejet anyway I may as well get the Cycle Shack slip-ons.

thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Who Dares Wins
204 Posts
Removing plugs in stock pipes.

I did the same to my 03 Wide Glide earlier this week around 1500 miles. It sounds much better, and I'm even getting better gas mileage. I was getting around 36-37 MPG now I'm getting 41-42. The engine seems to breath easier and it runs great...I'm not getting as much burping as I did before, especially below 40 degrees. I looked at the plugs last night after putting about 400 miles on the bike and they look fine. I'm not planning on doing anything to the carb unless I need to down the road.

Ronin PPS

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I bought a set of used mufflers of off Ebay to modify. I'm sure I'll be happy with the sound.

If I need to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw that would be an easy fix because the dealer left the plug out when they did my 1000 mile service.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is this normal for the dealer to remove the plug for the 1000 mile service? Hope they do it to mine when I take it in tomorrow for it's 1000 mile service.

·
Who Dares Wins
204 Posts
The dealer won't do it. It'd probably void the warranty. It's real easy to do...I did it in less than an hour.
Remove the slip on's, set them up right on a block of wood, get a piece of pipe or a dumb bell bar and a hammer and knock them out. Re-install the slip-on mufflers and there you go. Just keep an eye on your plugs to see if you need to re-jet later on.

Ronin PPS

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got my 03' wide glide yesterday it was very cold riding it the 10 miles that I rode it.. I think the sound of the stock exaust very much resembles a Vespa moped.. I've decited to live with it till spring (seeing how it is winter) when I can get Big Shots for it.. I didn't even get anyone to look at me . I'm embarrassed......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone out there done the punch out thing with a 03 fat Boy stock exhaust with EFI? Until I scrounge up the funds to buy louder pipes, I would like to try this trick to make the bike sound a little more beefy. Right now it sounds like a lawn mower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts