V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a lot of talk of guys punching out plugs from there stock exhaust systems to make the bike sound a little more appealing. I have an 03 Fat boy with EFI. Has anyone out there done this to a Fuel injected bike. If so did the ECU have to be remapped or rechipped.

·
Banned
999 Posts
I put an old set of well ventilated dresser mufflers on my 01 flhtci, and it didn't run any different but it had some popping in the exhaust when closing the throttle and coasting.I put the stockers back on.

If I had a brand new bike I wouldn't touch it for at till the warranty is used up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought about punching out the plugs in my stock exhaust as well (02 883) but then decided against it and installed some Cycle Shack slip-on's instead. Figured that I may need to install the stock one's back on for some reason or another, and from what I have read, HD wants big bucks for stock replacements.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The sound you want will not be there. Punching out the pipes sounds better than stock but its just not quailty Harley sounding. Your bike would run better if you reflashed but could survie with out it. Best bet is for S/E slip ons without the reflash, Harley makes the EFI stock able to handle that as long as no S/E A/C is added.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Rscotts1 said:
Figured that I may need to install the stock one's back on for some reason or another, and from what I have read, HD wants big bucks for stock replacements. [/B]
good thing about stock mufflers is there are thousands of em laying around,you can get em for nothing most of the time.
what Kags said holds true,you wont get the sound you want ,better off spending the money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the helpfull advise. I decided to not punch out the stockers, mainly because I might need to put them back on. Who knows what the EPA will do next here in California. I heard they have been pushing smog checks on bikes for a long time. I hope that day will never come.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The S /E slip on's are your factory pipe with a hole through the pipe, some times it is half coverd other time it is not depending on model. If your bike is a EFI bike you can do the baffle trick as well using a hole saw cut out the entire baffle. But if you have added a S/E air cleaner you will have to re-flash. Stock program is lean and adding more air will cause problems on most bike not all. Luck of the draw their. Working at a shop we do this on a regular basis the re-flash is recommened though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
same principle
rejet: changes the amount of fuel by enlargeing the diameter of the inlets on a carb
remap: tells the computer on fuel inj. bikes to increase the amount of fuel being sent to be burned
this is the simplified versions

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Jay21 Duhhhhhh!!!!!! This is my first harley can you tell.
(GreenHorn)

So, I have an 03 dwg without EFI and I want to punch out the pipes will I need to re-jet the carb.

Thanks in advance
Skno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Skno
You can punch the pipes and not rejet as long as you have the stock restrictive air filter. When you get more air in then you rejet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good Deal

I will only be using the punched pipes for a short while. New pipes will come into play very soon. I just cant make up my mind which ones to buy.

Thanks to all this is a great forum.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2000 Ultra and would like to punch out the exhaust. It still has the original air cleaner, so from what I have read I would not have to reflash????. My question is how do I go about punching out the exhaust? Is there a step by step somewhere that would tell me how to do it? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I have an 02 FXST w/carb. I drilled out the mufflers with a 7/8” hole saw and a bit extension. I got an entire exhaust system on E-bay very cheap. I will keep my stock system in case California decides to start smog check on bikes. I took off the mufflers to do it and drilled from the end inwards, resting the other end on a piece of plywood. Wrap the muffler with a towel or something to keep from scratching it up. Some guys drill out the entire baffle, I can only tell you what worked for me. It really woke the bike up. I also did a rejet and added a Ness air cleaner before this. I needed a size larger slow jet after the drilling. Each step has been a noticeable difference. I now have a bike that sounds pretty good and scoots along very well. This will do me just fine until I decide, and can afford a proper set of pipes. Again, I can’t talk for others, but for me, it was worth the effort. The bike is much better now than stock, both in sound and performance. As for F/I, I don’t know how much a reflash would cost or what is involved as I have never had F/I

Hope this helps some
Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Greg,
I also went with a similar set-up as you did. I have a 03 FLSTC carb, 2tone. I got the Ness filter, rejetted carb and changed the pipes to HD baloney cut slip-ons mostly for the looks. The sound improvement I got at that point came mostly from the free air intake since the HD slip-ons are only slightly louder than stock because they also have a full plug inside. I did not bother with removing the pipes and drilled directly from the back with a long drill bit, 3/8" at first, than 1/2" for a very satisfying sound that does not wake the whole neiborhood at night. I will see about that slow jet in the spring since I got the bike in Oct. and got 2000 miles so far in cold 35 to 45 F. I have a 7/8" drill bit in reserve if I feel the need for a louder set-up.
Claude

·
Registered
351 Posts
For me.... I bought a second set of Stock Mufflers off ebay for $10.. plus shipping.... Actually they were new take-offs... Got me a piece of long rebar and "jabbed" into the exhaust end and the plugs "popped" right out.. The are just over an inch in dia.. Sounds fine to me..... for the time being...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just install a new set...

I'd install a new set of pipes and keep the originals.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I drilled the baffles out on my "03 Dyna with a 1 1/8" hole saw and 12" extension. Volume increased some but not as much as I expected and it really sounded like crap. Made a rattling noise on decel. No matter as it was just temporary til the Straightshots got here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts