V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that someone "in the know" could provide detail on how to do this myself. Specifically:

How can I remove the stock cam gear from the stock cam shaft without damaging either one? What tools would I need?

Regarding assembly of the stock cam gear to new camshaft:

I know that to press a new gear onto a camshaft, the center of the 1/4" keyway (in the camshaft) must be exactly 180 degrees from the pinion timing mark on the drive gear. I've been told that they make alignment pins to help with this.

I’m a little slow…..could you briefly describe how you would use these pins to get the correct alignment?

Finally, how would I press the stock cam gear onto the new V-Thunder cam shaft? What tools would I use?

Thanks. I think I can handle this given a little expert guidance!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You don't need anything but a press and a couple of pieces of scrap aluminum or other soft metal.
You simply support the gear and press the cam out.
The pins you lay two of them into the recess of two consecutive teeth on the gear exactly 180 degrees off the timing mark and the third pin is the same width as the keyway. You insert it perpendicular to the axis of the cam into the keyway and as you present the cam to the bore in the gear it goes between the two pins you already had on the gear in effect precisely positioning the cam. You support the center of the gear and press the cam in.
If you don't have the pins, I think they are from Crane just use drill bits, it helps it you grind the end of the 1/4" one for the keyway flat on the end.
Takes less then 5 minutes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think I got the idea. My cousin owns a machine shop (they make marine hardware) and I'm sure they have a press. We'll give it a shot:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts