V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
CV, I hear they're pretty good. I hope so.

·
Registered
828 Posts
yeah once dialed in & warmed up a cv works ok.
i couldnt stand when it wouldnt take throttle, coughed & hesitated

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
dutch, that is a nice CV with the adapter flange for him...ready to go

·
Registered
817 Posts
I thought the cv was first introduced in 1990?
My mistake, I guess I was just taking it for granted that they went to the CV with the EVO. I wonder if the CV will bolt up to the pre90 EVO intake manifold for Keihin butterfly. If so I wonder why there has to be an adaptor for shovels.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
My mistake, I guess I was just taking it for granted that they went to the CV with the EVO. I wonder if the CV will bolt up to the pre90 EVO intake manifold for Keihin butterfly. If so I wonder why there has to be an adaptor for shovels.
The CV was actually introduced on the 1988 Evo Sportster (without an accelerator pump). It was (as mentioned above) 1990 when the first big twin got the CV (with accelerator pump). Before 1990, the carb was a Keihn butterfly model. Don't remember what year they started using it though.

And no, the CV won't install to the pre90 EVO intake manifold but any 1990 or later manifold with fit on early EVO's to handle the CV carb. I've bought the manifolds for $5 at lots of swap meets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,
could you help me by telling me what the stock carb on a 89 fxr low rider is?

CV and if you change the stock main jet to a 190 it will give you more performance as i did. The jet needle is adjustable also, be carefull as the adjustable needle has small clips and move those clips to the third grove from the top. By the way the adjustable needle comes in the screaming eagle dyno jet package, as the origional needle is not adjustable as also with the main jet. As the main jet is not adjustable as it is stock with the cv carb.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As mentioned the stock carb is the 38mm Keihin butterfly style carb. Properly tuned it's really not that bad. If you do decide to change to the CV you'll need an adapter for the compliance style manifold to the cv OR just find an CV manifold and bolt that on, I may even have an extra laying around here someplace. Let me know if you need it..

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
fancy cv carb? i doubt its cheaper than the mik.
i'd stick with a flat-slide pumper for optimum response, smoother operation & tuning capabilities.
I use an Edelbrock on my EVO....IMO better carb than the Mik (more steel than plastic in it).....plus ya can adjust the needle without taking it apart. That CV is for my Shovel.....it's cool AND it works great

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I use an Edelbrock on my EVO....IMO better carb than the Mik (more steel than plastic in it).....plus ya can adjust the needle without taking it apart. That CV is for my Shovel.....it's cool AND it works great
I ran a Quicksilver carb (original name before Edelbrock bought it) on a 1988 Evo for approx 80,000 miles before I sold the bike. Great carb and easy to tune, as mentioned here. It won't tune worth a toot with drag pipes though.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I wonder if the CV will bolt up to the pre90 EVO intake manifold for Keihin butterfly. If so I wonder why there has to be an adaptor for shovels.
No, you need to use a manifold for a CV carb. The CV carb does not use bolts, it just gets pressed into the seal on the manifold.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts