V-Twin Forum banner

Stock carb vs. Mikuni

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Milehog 
#1 ·
I have a stock carb on my 06 Streetglide with a jetkit, V&H ovals and Arlen Neww Big Sucker. Even with a 48 slowjet, it occasionally pops through the air cleaner and my gas mileage sucks. If I baby it, I get 31MPG. What are the advantages and disadvantages of swapping in a Mikuni vs. friggin around with the jetting more on the stocker? As far as future engine mods, I might do a 95"bigbore and cams, thats it.

#2 ·
DynoJet kit?
Try 185 main, needle clip on # 3 from the top, AF mix between 1-3 turns...do it in quarter turn increments until no backfiring from exhaust @ 2000rpm on compression.
I'm running a 02FLHT, Kerker PATs, 26G cams, SE air with DJ kit and although my carb setup is different than yours I get 40-44mpg depending on the outside temp.
CVs are good carbs.
Good luck

Pete

#4 ·
Hey hedgehog, I have an 05 flthc with vance and hines true duals, oval muffler and s/e air filter kit. I have put in A 48 slow, sportster needle and left 190 main. I found that 2 turn out on the screw did me perfect. It starts,idles,and warms up great.It pulls hard all through the rpm band, with no flat spots. I think you should try this as it would only cost you 10-15 bucks. I have found that jet kits are really hard to get right with out dyno tuning. This will put you really close..I get bout' 38-40 mpg most of the time...hope this helps..

#5 ·
Carb Mods

HedgeHog, I have an 06 FLHT with SE A/C, SE Mufflers and stock CV carb with Sporty needle, 45 Slow Jet, 190 Main and Idle mixture backed out 2 1/4 turns. No popping and mileage in the 40-48 range. The Stock CV carb works great for minor mods (I used it on my last 95 BB with no problems).
Good luck!

#7 ·
According to Joe Minton, Tech Guru for one of the major bike rags, and various other mechanics I have talked to, the CV can be tuned to nearly the same performance as the Mukuni, and for a lot less $$$.

1 size larger slow jet, 1988 1200 Sportster needle, two coils cut off of the slide spring, and 2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the idle screw.

Regards,

Bill

#8 ·
TXCHOP said:
H I have put in A 48 slow, sportster needle and left 190 main. I found that 2 turn out on the screw did me perfect. It starts,idles,and warms up great.It pulls hard all through the rpm band, with no flat spots. I think you should try this as it would only cost you 10-15 bucks. I have found that jet kits are really hard to get right with out dyno tuning. This will put you really close..I get bout' 38-40 mpg most of the time...hope this helps..
I agree completely. I have the same tuning parts ready for my CV once I hit 500 miles. I have Rinehart true duals and an Arlen Ness big sucker ready to install. All the parts are useless unless you dyno tune to get it all dialed in correctly.

Now if your hell bent on a new carb I suggest sending yours to Bob Wood and have him perform his 41.5 carb mods to your CV. His modified carbs have always beaten Mikuni in all the dyno tests I've seen. This conversion will work with you stock set-up and is perfect for the 95" kit your planning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.