V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a FLSTS carb '01 all stock,no mods.

After 22000 Kms. chrome mufflers were as new but 15 days ago after a long run from Spain to Germany (Elefantentreffen rally) under very cold conditions...the right muffler has turned to 'gold' color :(

Normally it's said that it happens for running too hot...but under freezing weather too?

In general the engine suffered quite a lot under very low temperatures,I must to ride more revved than usual, if not the oil indicator was continuously ON...because oil lines clogged?

Any ideas about muffler chrome damage?

The dealer's solution was to give me a little can of Blue Job Chrome Restorer,that really works?

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

Twin Cam
FLSTS '01

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gold means a LEAN condition.... Too much air, not enough fuel...... That color is there for good.....

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have tried the Blue Job and it worked like a charm! I'm sure it will clean the pipes. Dont know what you meant about the cold weather making your engine work...usually air cooled HD engines love cold air..thicker and more power. Might want to have that looked at on your next warranty inspection.

CHEERS
FXST99

My piece of the highway

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
A second vote for the lean condition. Does the pipe darker as you get closer to the head? If it does you were running lean. Get it up to running temp. Then go to a secluded road where you can run about 80 mph. Hold 80 for a sec and quickly snap the throttle closed about 1/4 inch. If you feel like you pick up speed, your lean. One last check. Run about 50 mph in the same secluded area (don't want any tickets) then kill the motor and coast to a stop. Pull the plugs and see waht they look like. Light tan = lean... brown = good ...... darkbrown/black = rich.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
....In general the engine suffered quite a lot under very low temperatures,I must to ride more revved than usual, if not the oil indicator was continuously ON...because oil lines clogged?....

Well that's definitely no good. What viscocity oil were you running?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DevilHog,sask-man,Habanero Kid,Flyer Thank you for your advices :)

I realize the bike is running lean.

Any suggestions to make the engine running richer?

Flyer said:
....In general the engine suffered quite a lot under very low temperatures,I must to ride more revved than usual, if not the oil indicator was continuously ON...because oil lines clogged?....

Well that's definitely no good. What viscocity oil were you running?
More info...

Before the trip I changed to Castrol GTS 10W40 (semi-synthetic).

Along Swiss highway I noticed oil pressure indicator ON (5th gear,70 mph,Temp under 15ºF and...tons of salt on the road)

I shifted down to 4th gear and with same speed the indicator turned slowly to OFF.
In 4th when I slowed to 55mph oil indicator was ON again...so I decided to ride more revved than usual.

I checked oil level and was OK.Oil temp gauge showed no more than 170ºF

In freezing mornings I used also the choke a lot...the engine worked quite irregular and stalled easily.

Thank you for your attention

Regards

FLSTS '01

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Ok, this ain't gonna sound too good, but here goes.
You ran the motor below its operating temperature range. For how long???

New bikes have to pass emmissions, thus they are jetted lean from the factory. I'm not sure about Europe (Spain) .
It's not hard to re-jet the carb on these things. More immediate attention should be paid to internal engine parts though. Even though these Twins are tough, they still need complete and uninterrupted lubing or things wear, bend, break in a hurry!
1) Do an oil change. Use 10w40
2) Check drain plug for metal shavings
3) Run engine and listen for abnormal noises from bottom end, lifters not filling up will sound very clattery, rod ends will knock.
4) Run compression tests on both cylinders
5) Rejet carb with #195 or one size up from the one you're using now
If wealthy, take it to the dealer :)

Best of luck!

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/

Bookmark that link. The menu is along the side, look under CV carb. They have all the info you need to change the jets. You'll need to adjust the idle mixture screw also. That is covered on the site as well. If you change the oil and still have the light coming on *I* would take it to the Stealer. I know it sucks, but it's coming on for a reason. If you can, when you take the filter off, split it and see if you have metal in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Flyer said:
Ok, this ain't gonna sound too good, but here goes.
You ran the motor below its operating temperature range. For how long???
Flyer,This sounds quite frightening...

I rode under freezing weather more than 1000 miles but only noticed oil pressure indicator ON occasionally...

Riding under very cold in the USA is quite usual,isn't it?
Do you really think that engine could be damaged for riding under cold conditions? :confused:

Ok,the Service Manual says than oil lines can be clogged in freezing weather but under which Temp?

One thing is true,TC88 is a 'cold' engine,hard to work at low temps.
A colleague was riding with a BMW 1150 GS (Boxer engine) and the oil temperature was only a little bit lower than usual.

Thank you for rejetting advices and link of nightrider.com, I'll try to make some changes on carb soon.

Regards

Twin Cam
FLSTS '01

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Operating temerature is, well, vital to engine performance. No different than getting a fever. High fever, feel crappy.....low fever, feel just as crappy! No fever, where's the party!!!(Just an analogy)

What makes HDs difficult to deal with in temperature extremes is their dependency on air to cool off. Water cooled bikes don't have this problem as they depend on a thermostat to keep operating temperatures in check.

No need to panic......After all, the second greatest joy of owning one of these mules is wrenching them. To some just a little, to others a lot.
Go through the steps outlined above....If things check out ok, then your bike is......well.....ok!!
Going onto carb behaviour. Another reason for the bikes inability to idle may be that the carb iced up. That will create a "lean" running condition.
Weather permitting, take your ride out, run at 4000 in 3, 4 or 5 gear for 3-4 minutes. Hit the kill switch, pull your clutch in at the same time. Pull over. Take out both plugs. If color is creamy tan\light brown, your jetting is ok. If color on the electrode insulator is bone\bone white you're running lean. If it's fluffy dark dark brown\black you're running rich

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Flyer said:

Going onto carb behaviour. Another reason for the bikes inability to idle may be that the carb iced up. That will create a "lean" running condition.
I was just going to say that. How cold was it? If it ran fine during good weather that would be my bet. Around 32* F, you may get carb icing. I'm not familiar with it though. Do a forum search for carb icing, heck, hit up google while you're at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts