V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys can the stock barrels be bored to 98"..........I mean are there any issues with this.

All the best, Ozzie

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
No

Ozzie,

I don't think this can be done reliably otherwise everyone would save themselves hundreds of dollars for the free 3 ci increase. I think cylinder wall thickness will not support it. The Axtel and Milleniums solve the problem in different ways. The Milleniums are nice but $900 for pistons and cylinders is killing me. I guess if you figure that cylinders, piston, boring, etc. is $500 give or take, done right, not bargin basement, then it is only $400 extra. You are getting 7 cubes for $500, and only 3 more for the next $400.

If I was going to do it I would go through HDWRENCH. He still works with the Millenium cylinders I think. In addition to the cubes, the larger bore unshrouds the valves and helps with breathing.

Milleniums are Nikasil coated bare alluminum. This is how they go bigger. Harley has a steel liner that can't be allowed to get too thin.

David

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Bagger Dave, Ozzie -

I figured as you did when playing around looking at the extra cost. A 95" is actually 94.3", so it's a 3.7" increase in size going from the 95 to the 98". I figured the 3.7 is a 37 % increase going from 88 to 98 over going 88 to 94.3.

I figure the increase has got to make a small-but-noticeable difference. I do know the quality is high and the cylinders weigh less. I also know guys who eagerly spend more $$ for stuff that makes less impact on performance. FWIW.

Bottom line - I just wanted to go as large as possible w/o boring the cases.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Probably not.

Hi Ozzie,

As other posters say, I doubt that stock cylinders can be bored that far. They start at 3.750 (3-3/4)" and for 95" they bore to 3.875 (3-7/8"). To get to 98" you would have to bore to 3.950. That would be a 0.200" overbore.

When I saw your post here, I measured the thickness of the cylinder stub wall that goes into the cases. I just happen to have a few sets lyng around, heh heh. The cylinder wall is 0.157" thick. If you were to bore to 3.950, that would take 0.100" off of each side and thereby reduce the thickness of the cylinder stub wall to 0.57". That's less than a 1/16"!

I guess that with a lined cylinder like Millenium or others that they talk about, you could do it and have it be reliable. I just don't think, as the others say, that it could be done with stock cylinders. Guess that's why they are selling them off dirt cheap on eBay all of the time. :)

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies..................guess that idea is out.

Gonna start getting things together for a 98" build later in the year.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
The Millenium cylinders are unlined, FWIW.

Ozzie, you might pm HDWrench for more technical insights into these things. He can also get you a good deal on these things.

GC

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FXDRYDR said:
The Millenium cylinders are unlined, FWIW.

Ozzie, you might pm HDWrench for more technical insights into these things. He can also get you a good deal on these things.

GC
I appreciate your help here FXDRYRYDR................I will go with the Axtell lined cylinders.............but I will contact HDWrench at the appropriate time and get a set of his roller rockers.

I was in the process of ordering heads from Dewey when he had his misfortune and now that he is back I will complete the order in December.

I go home to Oz for 10 days in November and will bring back my tools as I want to do this build myself again and take pictures at each stage and put together an engine tear down thread for all the novices to at least see how it is done........similar to the excellent thread by Springer for the SERT.

All the Best, Ozzie

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Ozzie -
Great news all the way around - the build and the visit home! Can't wait to see how the build comes out, so keep us posted.

I'm running a set of HDWrench's rollers -- along with rods and lifters he recommended - and no worries, issues or anything but good results. My only regret is not going to 114"!

All the best Ozzie.

GC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts