V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys ! doz any one know the stock length of wide glide forks ??? and where are you measuring from thanks guys "softail"

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
hi guys ! doz any one know the stock length of wide glide forks ??? and where are you measuring from thanks guys "softail"
Get out a tape & measure from the top of the tree to the axle centreline. Most 41mm stock front ends should be approx 32"

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Hey Ray

What measurement did ya come up with???

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
28 I would be getting a hold of the boys over at RB Racing & let them in on what ya want to do. They will send ya a charted read out of what your trail is going to be and reccomend what youll need to do.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I seen a night train before with 4 inches removed from the front forks and a progressive lowering kit installed up front for 1 inch lower as well.. Id just like to know how front forks get the chop. Is it as simple as pulling the tubes out of the lowers and cuttin off what you want from the tube and slappin em back together? Or should i just invest in 4 under front end tubes.. 4 under isnt easy to find tho...

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Is it as simple as pulling the tubes out of the lowers and cuttin off what you want from the tube and slappin em back together?

Fortunately it is not that easy or their would be some catestrophic disasters out there. I would check your service & parts manual. If you have not yet purchased them I would highly suggest it. The front tubes are a machined process which must be done properly.

Or should i just invest in 4 under front end tubes.. 4 under isnt easy to find tho...
I would ask myself why? Why are they not easy to find.

I guess I can put it this way, apart from the engine in any machine there are 2 other more important operating features which should never be taken lightly.
1. The steering system of any motorized vehicle
2. The brake system

Without either working as intended within the spec tolerance it was engineered for it can result in creating a victim. Most suppliers of tubes & trees are very expicitly recommending not to alter beyond certain limitations.

When I contacted RB Racing they were very explicit in telling me that no stock frame should be altered beyond 3 degrees in the trees & in my case 3" of fork length.
By lowering your ride 4'' you are entering the zone of disaster if not done right. I would strongly suggest you get in touch with Sugar Bear over at RB Racing to avoid becoming lost in the zone.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanx for that bit of guidance roll me away, ill keep that in mind.. My train is currently goin through quite a large transformation. I dropped it off at a builder who does some excellent one off stuff.. I will have pics soon, but not soon enuff.. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts