V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice please. I have a 06 Heritage with 8K miles. Bike was getting about 35-36MPG normal riding (mostly Interstate, 70 or less). Pipes were black and nobody would ride behind me because of a fuel smell (not me!). Anyway I took her in to the dealer and they said everything was OK and that was normal (and stoled 60 bucks from me for DIAG charges:spank: ).Now I have installed SEII exhaust and a K&N breather. Bike runs fine, but now I am down to 32MPG. I don't think this is normal. Help!!!
 

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Can't give advice.........

ssgjwarren said:
Need some advice please. I have a 06 Heritage with 8K miles. Bike was getting about 35-36MPG normal riding (mostly Interstate, 70 or less). Pipes were black and nobody would ride behind me because of a fuel smell (not me!). Anyway I took her in to the dealer and they said everything was OK and that was normal (and stoled 60 bucks from me for DIAG charges:spank: ).Now I have installed SEII exhaust and a K&N breather. Bike runs fine, but now I am down to 32MPG. I don't think this is normal. Help!!!
Hello, well, I can't really give any advice, but as you are not getting any replies, I can say that I agree with you that it is not normal, and also confirm that it is a very similar problem as to what I have.

I have 2004 Softail Standard. I didn't really record the fuel usage during the break in period, then I installed the usual SE Air Cleaner, SE Exhaust and Stage 1 dealer flash - this left me with a lot of exhaust deceleration popping. About a month after that, I installed the Techlusion DFO, cleared up the popping.

At this time I started to notice that I could only go about 160 to 170 Kilometers before the fuel light came on = around 100 mile for you guys, and it takes about 12 liters to fill. On EDIT: just checked my spreadsheet and 12 Liters / 160 Kilometers = 31.36 MPG

Then, while I was in Australia, I had an Ultra Classic from HOG. The first time I stopped to fill it up it was at 270 K's and one time I ran it up to 323 K's. On EDIT 2: It took 18.5 Liters at the 323 K's so my spreadsheet says that = 41.07 MPG

Back to my bike and had it checked by dealer, all settings normal. Then I dis-abled the DFO, still running the same, funny thing was, the popping did not return?

I have removed the DFO and just switched to a new map from SERT but have not been able to go for any longer rides yet to check out if this will affect anything.

The above figures are just out of my head, so may or may not be as accurate as they could be. I have done all the exact stuff on spreadsheet, with all conversions to US gallons & MPG.

Also, I posted over on the Techlusion site & they were helpful with settings numbers, but nothing seemed to make any difference. And I posted the dealer printout there and on this forum too from memory, still, didn't get much sympathy, just kept riding & filling up as required.

Best of luck, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
First did you do anything to add fuel to your mixture, dealer reflash or PC III, DFO. I don't know of the any changes to newer bikes, but I have a 03 FLSTCI with a stage 1 dealer flash, SE torque slip on mufflers and SE air cleaner. I don't ride at high rate of speeds on the expressway, when I have the fuel mileage greatly reduces. under normal riding 40 to 70 mph my fuel mileage is around 45 mpg. sometimes higher or lower by 3-4 mpg depending on fast takeoffs or going faster on the expressway ( less fuel mileage ) or just cruising at 40-50 mph ( better fuel mileage ).

good luck and ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brownjams said:
First did you do anything to add fuel to your mixture, dealer reflash or PC III, DFO. I don't know of the any changes to newer bikes, but I have a 03 FLSTCI with a stage 1 dealer flash, SE torque slip on mufflers and SE air cleaner. I don't ride at high rate of speeds on the expressway, when I have the fuel mileage greatly reduces. under normal riding 40 to 70 mph my fuel mileage is around 45 mpg. sometimes higher or lower by 3-4 mpg depending on fast takeoffs or going faster on the expressway ( less fuel mileage ) or just cruising at 40-50 mph ( better fuel mileage ).

good luck and ride safe.
No I didn't have anything done completly STOCK. What I don't understand is with the 06 EPA laws, I should be running lean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
ssgjwarren said:
No I didn't have anything done completly STOCK. What I don't understand is with the 06 EPA laws, I should be running lean.
from what I've learned here, even with the stage 1 reflash I'm running lean. my bike runs fine for me so I'm leaving it as is. You might see if someone that has knowledge of the 06s can chime in to help you. I thought that when changing pipes and air cleaner to higher flowing that you need more fuel or you'll be causing damage to your engine. again ask around or maybe try looking around, search and read. I hate to say use the search function, but I can't give you anymore info.

good luck and ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
06 & Sert/pciii

I have an 06 FLHTI and I have been doing some research on what it would take to do a stage 1 (Air cleaner and slip-ons). This is the first EFI bike I have owned. I like not having a choke and it cranking first try every time but the drawback is paying the Harley Tax at a higher rate with the RaceTuner or Power Commander.

Air Cleaner only: can run without doing anything - it will run rich.
Muffler only: Race Tuner or Power Commander III required to correct the rich state.
AC and Muffler: same as muffler only.

I received this info from three different mechanics, 2 HD "certified" at different dealerships and one Indy who pushed the PCIII as the way to go. The EFI for the 06 is a little different animal than previous years.

I also received some total B/S on this as well. If someone has a more definitive answer let me know.


T2
 

·
Forgetter of Things
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
ssgjwarren said:
Need some advice please. I have a 06 Heritage with 8K miles. Bike was getting about 35-36MPG normal riding (mostly Interstate, 70 or less). Pipes were black and nobody would ride behind me because of a fuel smell (not me!). Anyway I took her in to the dealer and they said everything was OK and that was normal (and stoled 60 bucks from me for DIAG charges:spank: ).Now I have installed SEII exhaust and a K&N breather. Bike runs fine, but now I am down to 32MPG. I don't think this is normal. Help!!!
i have an '06 ultra...was getting 44-46 mpg...no black at all on pipes, was having some problems with it stumbling/stalling when starting out. MOCO reprogramed my ECM...now a little soot on the end of muffler...last tank was 42 mpg.
i think you have a problem and the stealer ripped you off of $60. - it's under warranty.
call MOCO cust. assistance about your problem and you also want your $60 back from the stealer.
I'd put the stock AC/pipes back on till you get it fixed under warranty
 

·
Forgetter of Things
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Tsquared06 said:
I have an 06 FLHTI and I have been doing some research on what it would take to do a stage 1 (Air cleaner and slip-ons). This is the first EFI bike I have owned. I like not having a choke and it cranking first try every time but the drawback is paying the Harley Tax at a higher rate with the RaceTuner or Power Commander.

Air Cleaner only: can run without doing anything - it will run rich.
Muffler only: Race Tuner or Power Commander III required to correct the rich state.
AC and Muffler: same as muffler only.

I received this info from three different mechanics, 2 HD "certified" at different dealerships and one Indy who pushed the PCIII as the way to go. The EFI for the 06 is a little different animal than previous years.

I also received some total B/S on this as well. If someone has a more definitive answer let me know.
you'll be running lean, not rich...SERT or PCIII programmed by someone that knows what he's doing will correct the lean condition

read all the threads here, you'll learn alot...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top