V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 FXDWGI has the basic Stage 1 upgrade along with SE 16 Gauge exhaust, now with about 1,700 miles.

The bike runs very strong / very little vibration in this cool weather, around 35 - 40 degrees, but I know when spring is back and warm weather it will have that lazy / buzzing feel again. It is still a little too lean (EFI), and shows up mostly of course in the hot weather.

Is there a tuner that will richen the mixture up a little, something HD has that will keep me within the Warantee period?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Check out the TFI module from Dobeck performance,I run it on my RK and it does just that richens the fuel trim curve as needed and doesnt hurt or interfear with the ECM.pm me for more info

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
swdon is correct about the dfo i ran one on my bike till i switched to sert.i know good tuners in nj are hard to find but if any future mods are going to be done to the bike id bite the bullett and get an sert or pc3
So, would the answer be to get the SERT and have an experienced tuner do a Dyno Tune? I think there are a few HD dealers that do dyno tuning in my area.

Give me a game plan if you would.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
GET THE SERT it will save you money in the long run i think one of the ocean county hd are doing sert tunes from what i hear they are doing a pretty good job and haveing a lot of happy customers.i dont know what part your from but bergen county hd has been at it for a while.a friend of mine who owns a local speed shop is going to open up a cycle place near by, the first thing i told him to do was to buy a good dyno and get properly trained in how to use it. i know it takes yrs of exp to run one properly and tune but at least hell have the dyno. im running out now but i have a list of dealers ill email you some shops when i get home tonight.
I bought my bike at HD Long Branch, I live in Atlantic Highlands. I have seen that HD Edison claims they do good dyno work, and HD Trenton has a new dyno. Maybe I will ask HD Long Branch about if they do this or can suggest another HD dealer.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
This is a good thread for the central Jersey guys. DCraner, I live next door in Highlands. SEDELUXE05 and I had a thread going a few months back about Jersey tuners. Here's a link that should have a few suggestions in there for you:

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?p=657237#post657237

I am currently saving my pennies for a 98" kit and am looking at next winter before it will happen. In the meantime, I will spring a few hundred bucks for the parts on a 3.37 gear conversion, then let Long Branch install them (they're good because they don't give you grief when you come in with your own parts bought elsewhere). Hopefully that will tide me over for a while.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lunker said:
This is a good thread for the central Jersey guys. DCraner, I live next door in Highlands. SEDELUXE05 and I had a thread going a few months back about Jersey tuners. Here's a link that should have a few suggestions in there for you:

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?p=657237#post657237

I am currently saving my pennies for a 98" kit and am looking at next winter before it will happen. In the meantime, I will spring a few hundred bucks for the parts on a 3.37 gear conversion, then let Long Branch install them (they're good because they don't give you grief when you come in with your own parts bought elsewhere). Hopefully that will tide me over for a while.
Thanks Lunker. I have not seen your bike around, I'll have to check it out one day. Don't think I would miss a blacked-out WG. I ride in the cold, got the heated vest & gloves, CandyAss that I am I guess.

I was thinking of the SERT for now, but don't know if I can just have HD Long Branch plug it in and get good results, or do I need a Dyno Tuner guy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
swdon is correct about the dfo i ran one on my bike till i switched to sert.i know good tuners in nj are hard to find but if any future mods are going to be done to the bike id bite the bullett and get an sert or pc3
Why would a sert or pclll be better after more mods than a TFI module,when the sert and pclll will need to be remapped after mods and still dont do load?

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
lets start by saying if you get a stage 1 down load $150.00. now you get a cam and bb kit now you nee stage 2 $150.00 bike is still a little lean so you buy a dfo $250.00. so you spent $550.00 and you still have no tuneabilty for the bike but the pots on the dfo. with the sert $385.00 you have the stage 1 and 2 on the disc so you can load the maps your self. you can put it on the dyno and tune timing fron and rear cylinders spark afr front and rear change efi. you see there are a host of other tuning variables that you can do that a canned map . also its cheaper. now lets say you wto up grade to 98in 103 107 120 you have the capibilty to tune that a dfo and canned map dont.
as far as the tfi goes some had success some dont i think with the tfi you get a whole new ecm still has to dyno and set it up
Ahh, so to my main questions:

1. I have the basic Stage 1, will the basic dealer SERT install get me a little richer for the time being?

2. Can I then look for a good Dyno Tuner guy to "dial-in" my bike with the SERT I bought?

3. If I then do a 95" and / or cams can the same Tuner guy "fine tune" that?

So, the SERT is my sofrware for my Vin #?

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
DCRANER said:
Ahh, so to my main questions:

1. I have the basic Stage 1, will the basic dealer SERT install get me a little richer for the time being?

2. Can I then look for a good Dyno Tuner guy to "dial-in" my bike with the SERT I bought

3. If I then do a 95" and / or cams can the same Tuner guy "fine tune" that?

So, the SERT is my sofrware for my Vin #?
yes its for your bike only
1) no its pretty much a canned map. with the sert or pc3 you can fine tune the bike the dealers have a cartridge that has a preprogramed map installed already they plug it into your ecm and its a use once type of thing once they use ie it no longer has a map. the sert is a floppy you can download it as many times as you want
2) yes
3) with the sert yes
I'm confused, sorry. Answer 1. you say, no, SERT won't richen up from my original basic Stage 1(not a SERT), but in 3. you say it can be used over again to fine tune, meaning richen it up.

I am too lean with the basic Stage 1 (not SERT).

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
DCRANER said:
im sorry i mis understood the question the sert has a stage 1 loaded on the cd if you dont tune with a dyno and a tuner and leave the stage 1 down load alone youll be a little lean. if you change the configuration of the map that becomes a custom map for your bike and down load the custom map into your bike you can make it so its tuned so it will not be lean. if you use a dealer canned map more than likely with pipes and ac it will be lean.
O/K, so on a scale of 1 to 10 (lean to rich) let's say;

1. My pure stock WG was maybe a 4.

2. Like many, I then did Stage 1 kit (filter / reflash) and pipes, so now maybe a 6. So, it's o/k in cold weather, but a little lean in the summer heat.

3. If I buy the SERT from my dealer and he does the basic SERT Stage 1, am I no better than a level 6 like above step # 2? Or is the SERT Stage 1 maybe now a 7 on the scale?

4. Do I mess up my warranty if I "plug & play" myself, and without a Dyno or experience I think I would be guessing. Can I "change the configuration of the map" myself and finally get a little richer, or is the bottom line the SERT is useless without a tuner setting-up my bike?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.