V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight, any of you lads ever remove the funky dangling horn from the side of your Road Kings and Glides? I have been thinking of relocating it to under the nacelle like back in the day. Anyone already been there?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Yeah, I got rid of the cow bell altogether. The new horn did not find a home in the nacell, however. Instead, it went into the left side cover. I used an air horn made by Stebel called the Compact Nautilus which produces 139 db - damned loud. I own an '05 Road King Custom.

Total cost: $36.00. Look on the guys face who came into my lane: PRICELESS.

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merc...OMPACT_AIRHORN&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

It is the smaller one in the attached photo.

The thing kind of snaps apart so that you can mount the compressor separately from the trumpet. I mounted the compressor under the seat (there is a vacant compartment in the frame where it just fits). Mounted the horn with zip ties to the frame behind the left side cover (just fits). I then connected the two with a length of fuel line. Nothing is visible. The unit comes with a relay that protects the stock horn wiring.

Of course, this leaves the stock horn mount tab available for mounting something decorative or functional... or just put a chrome acorn nut in it and leave it. It really cleans up the engine.

If you are interested and you think it might work for you, let me know and I will take some photos of the install and post them.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Hey 8 ball,

That horn is interesting. Can you please post some pics of the install?

Cleaning up the left side of the engine and getting more db sounds like a plan.

Thanks

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah man, definitely post some pics if you can. And let's see what your RK looks like without the bell on the left side. I bet it looks sweet! :D

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Great info man. I was just thinking of ditching my horn, hadn't really thought of a cool replacement.

I ordered one this moring....thanks

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
When you do get a chance...please post the pics of your installation set-up. Thanks. There have been MANY times I wished I had a horn that would peel paint. And that's when I'm riding very conservatively.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't put in under your nacelle. It'll hit your fender when you brake hard. I know it looks like a lot of room but it's really not.

I'm concidering the air horn route also. I have an idea to incorporate a fullsize semi truck horn into a falsee muffler on the left side. Just gotta figure out the air tank issue. The horn bell opening would be facing aft but shouldn't have a problem with bugs and road crap.

What ever I get, I want it "OMG wake the dead and deafen the living loud"

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Okay you guys... as promised... my horn installation pics.

As you can see, I used an 8-Ball to deal with the horn mounting tab... and that is a couple of dice valve stem covers on my compression releases (same thread by the way).

None of the horns come with any wire or connectors, or the inline fuse for that matter. You'll have to pick that stuff up on your own.

Let me know if you have any questions. Like all things I do, I made it way harder than it could have been.

You can click on the link at the bottom for additional pictures of my scoot.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
8-Ball said:
Okay you guys... as promised... my horn installation pics.
Let me know if you have any questions. Like all things I do, I made it way harder than it could have been.
Why did you separate the compressor from horn? Thanks

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
8-ball, do you know if the mini-beast is built in the same manner? My custom has a mini beast on it now but I don't like the big box look and want to hide it. Worst case I guess I could buy a new horn.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I dunno-I kinda like the cowbell. It's one of the identifying,traditional features of a Big Twin,like a Corvette's tailights,or Buick's fender louvers. Without it, it looks incomplete.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Mine is behind the cover on the left side of the bike,actually between the frame and rear fender.Out a sight out of mind.No room in the nacelle!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The minibeast is totally different.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey 8-ball, didn't you have the whole horn build documented...? Or was that on another forum?

·
Registered
371 Posts
do you guys remember the air scoops that were optional on the shovels and the very early evos? for years ive had one of those mounted where my horn would be on my road king. i used the bracket for horn and drilled two holes in the back of the scoop. just recently added just the horn itself in the back of the scoop. works like a charm. looks neat as well.

head

1 - 20 of 20 Posts