V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just heard from a dealer that there are problems with sterling silver in the 2003 bikes that are bad enough that Harley has stopped production until they can resolve it. Anyone have more information on this?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yep! A partner of mine was to pick his up in NC on the 16th and they had to cancel it. The paint is crap.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So far so good with my two tone Deuce. No chips. I guess we will see how long that lasts though. I did actually ride down one gravel road, and still don't see any chips.

·
Registered
135 Posts
According to my dealer it is only happening on the plastic parts. There are apparantly no problems with the metal parts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I heard that from someone else too. However I have also heard that they are having problems with the metal too. My dealer told me "there is no problem with the paint. They just can't keep up with the production of the two-tones" Who knows whats true. Here is two letters that I got from the yahoo list that where supposedly sent to all of the dealers:

BEGIN dealer letter #1:

To: North American Harley-Davidson Dealers

Subject: 2003 Model Year 2-Tone Mix Changes

I'm sure that you've noticed some delay with your 2-Tone vehicle shipments,
Police/Shrine units and motorcycle metal related Parts and Accessories. In our
efforts to assure that we are shipping the highest possible quality units, we have
not been able to meet the planned 2-Tone paint schedule.

In order to provide some relief and to address the painted part backlog that has
emerged, we need to reduce the overall 2-tone mix slated for the rest of the Initial
Order period (production through the end of September) for York production. This is a
worldwide change shared by all regions. In place of 2-tones, we will be building
solid colors. There is no loss of overall production volume ? just a change to the
color mix we will be painting through September. We believe that this relief will
enable manufacturing to catch up and provide a more steady flow of product ? both
motorcycle and P&A going forward.

In the next few days, you will be receiving a communication that details an order
quantity that must be changed from 2-Tone to an alternative solid. This order change
is based on the number of 2-Tone orders yet unfilled and the quantity which must be
changed. The change is done at 3 levels ? a change to the FL Touring 2-Tone volume
(FLHTCUI, FLHTC/I, FLTR/I), the FLHRCI 2-Tone and the Softail 2-Tone. You will be
asked to substitute a solid color for the 2-Tone units that must be changed. We do
not foresee that these 2-Tones will be made up later ? this is a reduction to the
overall 2-Tone mix in the Initial period.

We will also be examining the 2-Tone mix in Phase II to determine if it needs to be
adjusted or retimed to provide a paint ramp plan to get back to the planned 2-Tone
mix. We will advise you of those results as soon as we have them.

We regret this change in the planned 2-Tone levels but trust you understand that it
is needed to assure timely shipment of the vehicles and parts that you have ordered.

Please watch for the order change communication. Your SPOC Vehicle DSC will help you
through the change process.

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sheryl M. Manhoff
Manager, Sales Administration Operations

BEGIN dealer letter #2:

August 27 2002
To: Select U.S. Harley-Davidson Dealers
Subject: 2003 Model Year 2-Tone Mix Changes - Action Required

Dear Dealer:

As you have been advised in the August 27th fax from Sheryl Manhoff, we need to
reduce the overall 2-tone mix slated for the rest of the Initial Order period
(production through the end of September) for York production.

A form indicating the quantity of units you are required to change is included in the
enclosed materials. Simply enter the 2-Tone order number to change in the box in the
first column and your color selection (Black or Gunmetal) in the box in the second
column. We have included a listing of your unshipped 2-Tone units to assist you in
making these changes.

Please complete the enclosed form and return to your Vehicle Dealer Service
Coordinator in SPOC no later than August 29th. Fax your completed forms to (414)
343-XXXX. [edit-ed]

We regret this change in the planned 2-Tone levels but trust you understand that it
is needed to assure timely shipment of the vehicles and parts that you have ordered.
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Amanda B. Clossey
Vehicle Order Manager

END.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
umm...folks if you're waiting for a two-tone 2003, and you're hoping to get it soon...I think you better make a call to the dealer TODAY!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HD says they've been planning the 100th bikes for five years. It is hard to believe that they simply couldn't anticipate the production demands. Has anyone actually seen a sterling silver bike with paint problems? If so, this may validate the people at HD who told Willie G. that this particular paint was was too problematic for mass production. HD has more than enough money to make this right. This is an oporoturnity for them to live up to all their hype about their superiority over their competitors, lest they slip back to their reuptation of the dark days. Can you imagine the embarassment if the finish on their flagship100th Anniversary models begins to disintigrate before the 100th Anniversary even begins!

·
Registered
266 Posts
DonB said:
I don't know if the rumors about the silver paint are true or not, I've asked all the dealers
around here and I also know several of the techs and they have all said there have been no
problems with any of the black and silver bikes they have sold so far????? Who knows????

I picked up my new black and silver Ultra last Wednesday and after hearing all the stuff
about the paint, I have gone over this bike very close and there is not one flaw in the paint
anywhere that I can see. I have almost 1000 miles on it so far. I'm not going to worry
about it, if the paint screws up later on, I have no doubt that Harley will take care of it.

http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4402
In a parallel thread, my build date was pushed back to the end of the month, the dealer pulled the their schedule sheet and said my order was still two-tone. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Build Date on my 2003 Vrod was July of 2003, I recieved it In august and it is the silver and black 2 tone. Now paint problems thus far with 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
4nic8 said:
My Build Date on my 2003 Vrod was July of 2003, I recieved it In august and it is the silver and black 2 tone. Now paint problems thus far with 1000 miles on it.

It took a while for the peral white to take a dump but in many cases it did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts