V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade the speakers on the HD stereo and the present ones are 8 ohm, all the speakers I have found are 4 ohm. Can the 4 ohm be used or is ther an adapter or were can I find 8 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
hdxlr8r

What brands are you looking at. Are you looking at standard car speakers or Marine grade speakers? I am a hobbyist in the sound area and have upgrded many car stereo systems. Most car systems are set up @ 4 ohms. You need a Marine grade speaker due to the moisture that the bike handles. Standard car speakers cannot handle the moisture. I would stick to the standard 8 ohm speaker if you are not going to upgrade the head unit from the stock Harley unit. The thing you have to worry about is impedence (ohms) that the head unit (stereo) sees. I do not know about any adapters on the market, to convert 4 ohms into 8 ohms. Try looking at Crutchfield company (www.crutchfield.com) and see if they have anything. They have tons of audio/video products to choose from. Good Luck

Doc526

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Crutchfield has tons of speakers including marine but non that are designated for 8 ohms so I guess HD has me tied into using their upgrade speakers.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Check with your local "quality automotive stereo store" or a boat marine catalog.

Speaking with a friend, Harley did or was using a marine "Jensen" brand speaker!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. most of the speakers for boats are poor quality so will just go with the upgrade speakers that HD has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts