V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '08 FLHTP, and am preparing for a Biketronics Retro Radio Kit install. I have read a few posts on here concerning this daunting task, (thanks Harleypingman, your posts have been quite helpful) and I think I'm up for the challenge. I still have and hope to keep the Police style wiring harness.
My question is: Has anyone tried to use the, Auxiliary Radio Switch Kit part # 71717-02 and the Auxiliary Switch Housing Kit part # 70248-02 for stereo hand controls? These parts are designed for use with the Road Tech Radio used on bikes without a fairing.

:help:

?anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know much about stereo hook up, but if the switches are made to fit the switch mounting plate in the housing, that is good...i dont know what function those switches do, but a switch is a switch to a degree.

I used the left housing and the accessory on/off switches to wire up my "stealth" switch and on/off for my cruise control and a factory cc set/resume switch for my install.. the set/resume switch needed an adapter fabricated to hold it on the plate.

i would not butcher my factory wiring and made my own mini interconnect harness for them.
you can get the deutche plug parts from your stealer for nice clean plug and pray hookup.

let us know how it goes as others may want to follow your path.

sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got done transforming my 98 to a streetglide wannabe. What I did is went to swap meets and got the switches and wiring harness' and intagraded the radio harness into the existing interconnect harness. The harness up the center of the frame to the fairing is the same as a reguler bike, the only differance is when you get to the fairing. I paid 50 for each switch/housing combo and 20 for the fairing wiring harness. If you came over I doubt you could tell that it wasnt factory.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I too bought some used switches and civilian interconnect harness off of Ebay and it was a real easy plug and play install. All I have left on the bike to see that it was a Police bike is the saddlebags now ! Oh I also bought a used Harley head unit on Ebay too, I was going to do the biketronics kit but went with the factory waterproof unit instead.

P.S. also had alot of help from Harleypingman, Very nice guy !
Thanks again Carl

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info on the interconnect harnesses. I am hoping to keep the Police switches, I don't know that I'll ever use them for anything other than, keeping the bike looking Police-like. But, that is why I was thinking about using the accessory switch housing kit.
Maybe I could integrate the the harnesses into the accessory switch kit, and use the switches from the FLHTC lower handlebar switches in them.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Apologies for not checking this forum frequently enough to have seen this thread before today.

Trapshooter, I sent you a message with the information for the Base Audio Connector (the 23-wire connector that civilian bikes have as part of their interconnect harness, but is not included in the police model interconnect harness) which I fabricated using HD parts and wiring diagrams when I originally installed a Biketronics interface module, civilian switches in place of the police handlebar switches, and Sony headunit. It includes the HD part nos. and the wire assignments.

Creating the Base Audio Connector and making the wiring connections isn't difficult, just a bit tedious, and mine worked perfectly for about 4 years. In hindsight, however, any owner of a police bike who wants handlebar controls of a headunit (either an HD OEM unit or an aftermarket unit using a module from Biketronics or Hawg-wired for handlebar controls of the unit) should strongly consider buying a civilian interconnect harness (I found mine on Ebay for $140 a year ago).

I say that because, at least in my case, I eventually added the oil temperature gauge and needed to further modify the wiring; and, again later, added HD's cruise control which required further modification of the wiring.

Despite doing neat wiring (soldered connections/heat shrink/etc.), and having everything function as designed without problems, the time it took to figure out the wiring, buy the connectors/wire pins and sockets, crimp and assemble connectors, etc. could have all been avoided by simply changing out the interconnect harness.

Of course, when I started with the Base Audio Connector, I didn't know that eventually I'd want to add cruise control and didn't know enough to consider simply changing out the police interconnect harness for the civilain version.

I love having a police model EG, though most people mistake it for an '04 Street Glide since the saddlebags are civilian, the SG rear fender/fascia were added years ago, etc. and I've enjoyed working on the bike these past 5 years. However, electrically, life would have been far simpler just changing out the interconnect harness.

As for the accessory switch housing, I doubt very much that it will accommodate the audio switches you need. That housing is intended for the rocker-type switches. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

Enjoy your cop bike and if I can help, let me know.

Carl

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
For owners of FLHTP's who are interested in making a Base Audio Connector for handlebar controls of the head unit (replicating the BAC found on civilian bikes), here are the HD part nos. and wire assignments I used on my '04.

Note 1: HD doesn't change the wiring very often, but you should compare the wiring diagrams in the HD Service Manual for your model year to confirm the information below is accurate for your model year.

Note 2: I'm not a tech and offer the information below to be helpful; however, you should verify the information before buying parts or doing any wiring--I'm human and may have made a mistake in what's presented, though I know of no errors. If you find any, let me know and I'll correct the information.

So here's the information; hope it's helpful:

Biketronics Installation on FLHTPI (Police model Electra Glide)

If you want handlebar control of your Sony headunit on your FLHTPI, below are the parts required to assemble what Harley refers to as the "Base Audio Connector" (BAC) and the wiring for it and your handlebar controls to allow you to use the Biketronics interace unit to provide those handlebar controls. You will, of course, need those handlebar switches, housings, and harnesses, and there are a couple of ways to get them without paying list price at the Harley store. For example, check with your dealer for take-off handlebar switches from EG Standards, Classics and Street Glides. The right side controls are a common take-off since an owner adding HD cruise control to a Standard, Classic or Street Glide removes the right hand controls and replaces it with the controls provided in the HD kit (which includes the cruise control set/resume switch). Since this cruise kit is a fairly simple DIY project, check this forum and friends who have done the cruise control installation themselves and see if they would part with their take-off controls. The left side switches, etc. are removed when the HD CB/Intercom is added; they are replaced with the switches, etc. to accommodate the PTT switch. And, of course, there is Ebay.

The BAC is a 23-place AMP connector that plugs into the Biketronics interface unit, and is included on the civilian EG's but not police models, (AMP being the manufacturer/vendor of this industrial grade electrical connectors). For more information on these connectors, and the Deutsch (another HD supplier of connectors) connectors (used for the handlebar switch connections consult your HD service manual's appendix. References to the Service Manual here are to the 2004 Touring Models edition that I used. You may use an electrical supply house for the parts listed, however, I didn't have the AMP or Deutsch part numbers, so I stuck with the parts numbers in the HD 2004 Touring parts book.

So, here are the part numbers, quantities, and list prices:

1. AMP housing, 23-place, part no. 72382-98, (quantity: 1, $14.00 list);
2. AMP terminal socket, part no. 72381-98 (quantity: 18, $.65 list);
3. AMP seal pin, part no. 72397-98 (quantity: 6, $1.00 list);
4. Deutsch terminal pin, part no. 72190-94 (quantity: 9, ???list);

The wiring assignments (i.e. where the wires go) are from the numbered BAC AMP housing socket chamber to: (1) the numbered chamber of the left or right interconnect harness/Deutsch connector that the handlebar switch harness is plugged into; (2) power or ground source; (3) front left or right speaker; and, (4) speed signal.

AMP chamber number Destination OEM Wire Color
1 Right Front Speaker (-) LGN/BK
2 (Empty)
3 RHandlebar slot 9; LHandlebar slot 9 PK/W
4 RHandlebar slot 8 GY/W
5 RHandlebar slot 10 V/BK
6 RHandlebar slot 7 O/BK
7 (Empty)
8 LHandlebar slot 8 BN/BK
9 Speed Signal/Interconnect 156B* W/GN
10 Battery (+) R/O
11 Ground BK/GN
12 Ignition (+) O/BE
13 (Empty)
14 (Empty)
15 (Empty)
16 Left Front Speaker (+) W/O
17 Left Front Speaker (-) LGN/W
18 Right Front Speaker (+) GY/R
19 Ground BK/GN
20 Battery (+) R/O
21 (Empty)
22 LHandlebar slot 11 GY/GN
23 LHandlebar slot 10 GN/BE

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay!

Retro Radio arrived yesterday for my '05 FLHTPI.

Read the destructions last night, and put the mounting blocks and such on prior to this morning.

Thanks go out to all of YOU whom have done this before me. Especially Harleypingman!

Pretty uneventful installation, except for the wiring.

I was trying to figure where to find a hot wire, and that was the real stressing point for me.

Read on another board, or it may have been here where somebody found a (police only) connector that had a hot wire in it, and just used that one.

So, with tester in hand, I too found a connector with a hot wire, while the ignition was off.

Spliced it, and wa la!

Finished just in time to take a shower and drive to work, so will get to fully test it tomorrow!

Now, while I had the faring off, I went ahead and mounted the oil pressure gauge, but none of my local HD dealers have the connectors and terminals, so will have to wait for them.

Carl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, however, Harleypingman could you contact me about adding handlebar controls to my 07 EG police?

For owners of FLHTP's who are interested in making a Base Audio Connector for handlebar controls of the head unit (replicating the BAC found on civilian bikes), here are the HD part nos. and wire assignments I used on my '04.

Note 1: HD doesn't change the wiring very often, but you should compare the wiring diagrams in the HD Service Manual for your model year to confirm the information below is accurate for your model year.

Note 2: I'm not a tech and offer the information below to be helpful; however, you should verify the information before buying parts or doing any wiring--I'm human and may have made a mistake in what's presented, though I know of no errors. If you find any, let me know and I'll correct the information.

So here's the information; hope it's helpful:

Biketronics Installation on FLHTPI (Police model Electra Glide)

If you want handlebar control of your Sony headunit on your FLHTPI, below are the parts required to assemble what Harley refers to as the "Base Audio Connector" (BAC) and the wiring for it and your handlebar controls to allow you to use the Biketronics interace unit to provide those handlebar controls. You will, of course, need those handlebar switches, housings, and harnesses, and there are a couple of ways to get them without paying list price at the Harley store. For example, check with your dealer for take-off handlebar switches from EG Standards, Classics and Street Glides. The right side controls are a common take-off since an owner adding HD cruise control to a Standard, Classic or Street Glide removes the right hand controls and replaces it with the controls provided in the HD kit (which includes the cruise control set/resume switch). Since this cruise kit is a fairly simple DIY project, check this forum and friends who have done the cruise control installation themselves and see if they would part with their take-off controls. The left side switches, etc. are removed when the HD CB/Intercom is added; they are replaced with the switches, etc. to accommodate the PTT switch. And, of course, there is Ebay.

The BAC is a 23-place AMP connector that plugs into the Biketronics interface unit, and is included on the civilian EG's but not police models, (AMP being the manufacturer/vendor of this industrial grade electrical connectors). For more information on these connectors, and the Deutsch (another HD supplier of connectors) connectors (used for the handlebar switch connections consult your HD service manual's appendix. References to the Service Manual here are to the 2004 Touring Models edition that I used. You may use an electrical supply house for the parts listed, however, I didn't have the AMP or Deutsch part numbers, so I stuck with the parts numbers in the HD 2004 Touring parts book.

So, here are the part numbers, quantities, and list prices:

1. AMP housing, 23-place, part no. 72382-98, (quantity: 1, $14.00 list);
2. AMP terminal socket, part no. 72381-98 (quantity: 18, $.65 list);
3. AMP seal pin, part no. 72397-98 (quantity: 6, $1.00 list);
4. Deutsch terminal pin, part no. 72190-94 (quantity: 9, ???list);

The wiring assignments (i.e. where the wires go) are from the numbered BAC AMP housing socket chamber to: (1) the numbered chamber of the left or right interconnect harness/Deutsch connector that the handlebar switch harness is plugged into; (2) power or ground source; (3) front left or right speaker; and, (4) speed signal.

AMP chamber number Destination OEM Wire Color
1 Right Front Speaker (-) LGN/BK
2 (Empty)
3 RHandlebar slot 9; LHandlebar slot 9 PK/W
4 RHandlebar slot 8 GY/W
5 RHandlebar slot 10 V/BK
6 RHandlebar slot 7 O/BK
7 (Empty)
8 LHandlebar slot 8 BN/BK
9 Speed Signal/Interconnect 156B* W/GN
10 Battery (+) R/O
11 Ground BK/GN