V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not electrical savvy. But I didn't think I was a dummy. I bought a boss audio system for my Sport glide. So the instructions offer 2 wiring options, one with a switch and one using a relay. So I tried to wire it with a switch. I watched a couple videos and thought it would be do able. So, I bought an on and off switch. 30 amp. I ran a wire to the positive side of the battery. I hooked the negative side of the wiring to a post on the side of the frame. Looks like a ground bank. I tested it with a test light. It has a few wires hooked in to it. Nothing hooked to wires past the switch. As soon as I connected the Negative battery cable it started smoking, melted the Pos and Neg wires from the switch back to the battery. Any Ideas what I did wrong? The switch is labeled, Earth, load and 12 volt 30 amp. I had the ground to earth, Hot to 12v. And a wire out to the stereo connector. Which has only 2 wires. Red and black with a red stripe. Nothing was plugged in to them, they did not melt. I did have the ground and the black with red stripe hooked together on the earth connector of the switch. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I guess you've learned why you never add a circuit without a fuse. By your description it sounds like a light up switch, can't think of why else a switch would need a ground. Since it melted the hot and ground wires sounds like the internal light is bad and grounded. Do you have instructions for the radio? Are you sure the black/red is for negative?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you've learned why you never add a circuit without a fuse. By your description it sounds like a light up switch, can't think of why else a switch would need a ground. Since it melted the hot and ground wires sounds like the internal light is bad and grounded. Do you have instructions for the radio? Are you sure the black/red is for negative?
Yes lighted. There are only 2 wires from the stereo. It shows Pos. and ground. I didn't have the stereo hooked to it, and I had the fuse after the switch. Per help on another site, I am going to run the fuse before the switch. And go to a 15 amp switch. I may wire a relay in. Like I said, not up on electrical and a relay ads some complexity.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There is no standardized color for DC wiring, except red is positive, different companies and countries will use different colors for different things. That said usually a wire with a red stripe is usually positive. I would be sure to check with the manufacturers wiring. Just a guess I would say red is positive, on all the time, black/red would be positive when the key (or switch is on. The ground may just come through the case. This is just a guess be sure to check with the wiring diagram. I could be wrong.
Always install a fuse next to the battery before any component , switch included.
Without seeing it right now I would guess you have a shorted switch or it is wrongly wired to ground.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no standardized color for DC wiring, except red is positive, different companies and countries will use different colors for different things. That said usually a wire with a red stripe is usually positive. I would be sure to check with the manufacturers wiring. Just a guess I would say red is positive, on all the time, black/red would be positive when the key (or switch is on. The ground may just come through the case. This is just a guess be sure to check with the wiring diagram. I could be wrong.
Always install a fuse next to the battery before any component , switch included.
Without seeing it right now I would guess you have a shorted switch or it is wrongly wired to ground.
Got it figured out. Bad switch. New switch it works perfect. The black with red stripe has a tag on it that says ground. Sorry I didn't mention that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts