V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my FLTRI for about 1000 miles and I would like to install the stereo amplifier. Only problem is the amp is made to fit the TourPak, which I don't have. When I originally thought of doing this I figured I'd wait and see if I could live with it first because I didn't want to mount the amp in a saddlebag and lose valuable space.

Now I'm willing to sacrifice some space in order to get the additional power. I'm only interested if this can be accomplished without major modifications (or major brain damage). Questions are:

1. Has anyone mounted the H-D amplifier anywhere other than in the TourPak? Fairing? Saddlebag?

2. Who would I best see about an installation (maybe Car Toys or some place like that)?

3. I heard the fairing has very limited space so the saddlebag is the most likely spot. How much space will I lose?

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike M

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mike,
Let me guess...when you really crank up the stereo, it isn't loud enough and/or the sound distorts? Have you replaced the speakers? If not, you might want to try this first. In my opinion the stock speakers are not good quality.

Polk Audio makes some much better 5 1/4" speakers (EX352) that will fit, and you should be able to get them at Circuit City for about $100, look here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/produc...=18&speaker=117

These speakers are "designed to boost the performance of stock radios". That is, they have a relatively high efficiency/sensitivity of 91dB.

If you buy them from somewhere like Circuit City, they should have a 30 day return policy so you can try them and return them if you don't like.

I installed them in my '98 FLHTC and have been pleased.

Have fun:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oldboy99, Heard good things about upgrade speakers. Then I heard that the speakers in the '01 and '02 FLTRI are the H-D High Performance speakers (mine's an '02).

Do you think I'll get better sound out of the Polks?

Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mike,
The stock speakers in my '98 FLHTC were pure junk, and I replaced them with the Polks for a night and day difference. I think you're right, HD started installing the "high performance" speakers in the '01 and later touring models. But it now looks like they offer yet another grade of speaker with the $500 "enhanced sound system" that comes with amp and 4 new speakers. See page 508 of your 2002 parts catalog.

I rented a '01 FLHTC once (with the same speakers your bike has), and in my opinion the Polk's that I have now sound better. If you feel like researching it, try to get the frequency response range and efficiency (i.e. sensitivity) numbers from Harley for the speakers you currently have in your bike, then compare them to the Polks or other replacement speakers. That should tell you alot. I know that others on this site and http://www.ffbmc.com/ have purchased these Polks for their '01-later bikes and are pleased. You might want to try a poll and see what kind of responses you get. But it really comes down to how they sound to you.

Also, try plugging in a portable CD player or a MP3 player into that auxillary input jack on the face of your radio. You'd be suprised on how much better the system sounds as compared to playin' a tape.

Enjoy those tunes:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks OldBoy99,

I'm going to go for them. Might even see if I can get an amplifier strategically positioned in the saddlebag so as to not take up too much room.

Thanks for all your insight.

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Polk's are much better then the speakers that come in the 02's.

Crank the AVC (automatic volume control) up to 4, from the stock setting, according to the owners manual. Makes a difference even with the factory speakers.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mike,

Don't know if you have done anything yet as this thread is a few days old, but OldBoy99 gave me the same tip and it has worked great for me !

I installed the Polk EX352 speakers on my '02 Ultra a few months back, then ramped the AVC control up as Hippo suggested and the entire setup sounds totally different - just what I was looking for. I too purchased the Polks at Circuit City, price was $89.00.

My question to others is this: The Polks will not fit the rear speaker housings on an Ultra, so has anyone found a better speaker with the performance and quality of the Polks that will fit the rear housings ?

My appreciation in advance........... :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Have to agree with Boomer here. There is no way in the world I would let any conventional electronics shop touch the bike, much less a new EFI bike. Some of the high end shops may be very good, but they don't have the information they need for the bike.

If I could not do it myself and had no access to a good indy or custom bike shop up to speed on the new bikes, I would bite the bullet and use the dealer.

If you can deal with the loss of time, getting jacked around and money is of no consideration, the dealers are the lesser evil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being in the automobile industry, experience tells me to stay away from an independent like Car Toys. Seen too many chop jobs and huge messes to clear up afterwards.

Think I will take OldBoy99's advice and go with upgraded speakers only and hope that they sufficiently improve the sound.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike M

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mike M said:
Think I will take OldBoy99's advice and go with upgraded speakers only and hope that they sufficiently improve the sound.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike M
Mike,
Replacing the speakers in my '98 FLHTC was a snap. Whole job took maybe an hour. All you have to do is remove the outer fairing (7 screws and unplug headlamp assembly). Make sure you grab the windshield so it doesn't fall when removing the outer fairing. Speakers are held in by 3 screws each as I recall. I did have to replace one of the speaker terminal connectors (can't recall if it was + or -) on both left and right channels because it was too big for the new Polk speaker. But they may have changed the terminal sizes since '98 so that your install will be plug and play. If you need to replace the terminal, you should be able to find them at Radio Shack.

Also try cranking up the AVC as HIPPO suggested. My '98 model radio does not have that capability (it would be nice to try), but I still find the Polk's plenty loud.

Enjoy:D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mike,
Sorry, just remembered that your bike is a Road Glide. I imagine the process should be similar to that for my FLHTC. Have fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
in reguards to the radio...

Today i called "Radio Sound" manufacture of the radio for Harley, and explained the speaker problem. First off their web site is http://www.radiosound.com . Another thing i learned talkin with this guy is that each channel has its own built in amp, (4 channels for the ultra). I was concerned with the impedance of the speakers, being that factory speakers are 8 ohm, and most 5.25's aftermarket are 4 ohm. He told me that by running 4 ohm speakers on the harley you have less of a load, but also makes the amp generate more heat... this overheating can cause failure.. (personally i think less load = less heat) but he said different.. he also said that they have presented harley with other speaker options, and that harley picked the crappiest speaker presented.. (in my mind to make up upgrade with their stuff) he really didnt give much of options as far as speakers are concerned, but did tell me that radio sound offers a radio trade in program for 90.00 bucks.. so , if you do end up blowing your head unit... trade it in for 90 bucks. Me, the sound difference is too great using the aftermarket speakers and i will continue to use them.. ps. i put in infinitys... they sound great...

http://www.radiosound.com

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Re: in reguards to the radio...

ltools said:
Today i called "Radio Sound" manufacture of the radio for Harley, and explained the speaker problem. First off their web site is http://www.radiosound.com . Another thing i learned talkin with this guy is that each channel has its own built in amp, (4 channels for the ultra). I was concerned with the impedance of the speakers, being that factory speakers are 8 ohm, and most 5.25's aftermarket are 4 ohm. He told me that by running 4 ohm speakers on the harley you have less of a load, but also makes the amp generate more heat... this overheating can cause failure.. (personally i think less load = less heat) but he said different.. he also said that they have presented harley with other speaker options, and that harley picked the crappiest speaker presented.. (in my mind to make up upgrade with their stuff) he really didnt give much of options as far as speakers are concerned, but did tell me that radio sound offers a radio trade in program for 90.00 bucks.. so , if you do end up blowing your head unit... trade it in for 90 bucks. Me, the sound difference is too great using the aftermarket speakers and i will continue to use them.. ps. i put in infinitys... they sound great...

http://www.radiosound.com

what your amplifier is doing is working harder trying to supply more power beacuse of less resistance. Midrange and high end impedances tend to run in the double figures so the amp can supply steady power, bass is a different story. Bass dynamics require huge power reserves. Loads as low as 2 or even 1 ohm(s) can make amplifiers with little or no headroom (reserve power) blow fuses and in some cases blow power supplies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts