V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 ultra Classic and I noticed this past week when slowing down the handle bars shake if you give the handle bars free room but not completely removing your hands from them. Once a normal grip is back in place the shake or wobble stops. I have ordered new tires and the ones that are on the bike are Dunlops which are in need of replacement. I have ordered the Kenda Cruz 673's to try. The reviews I read had high marks. The Dunlops did not last as long as I would have thought, about 12,000 miles, but the rubber is softer I suppose. As far as normal riding, the bike is real smooth. Could the tires be causing this or is there some other problem that needs checking into ? A while back I had the maintenance thing done and the steering had to greased and tightened. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep. It's the tires. I would say that improper inflation caused them to cup. Cupping causes the low speed wobble. I'm not fond of Dunlop tires. And the newer ones just don't seem to last as long as you have noted.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. The new tires are in so I will get put on this weekend. I had the Dunlops put on last spring, since then, we've been to New Mexico twice, Big Bend this spring, and quite a few weekend rides. I suppose the weight of the Ultra plays a factor on tire wear. My Boulevarde has the same tires on it when I bought it new in 2006, 15,000 miles, and they are still in decent shape. But, the ride is just not what the Ultra is. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked the Ultra up today, rides totally different. Steering wobble is gone. Also noticed the Kenda tires do not track on the roads that I ride on daily whereas the Dunlop's did. The mechanic liked the Kenda's. Already planning a ride for the coming month. Again, thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After riding everyday, I am pleased so far with the Kenda's. They make the bike handle well. Corners well. They handle surfaced roads well too, no tracking at all. I will keep an eye on the tire pressure also. Miles will tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never heard of Kenda tires.....where did you find them? I have an '08 Ultra and looking to get away from the OEM Dunlops. Read some good reviews on the Elite III's

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 1996 ultra Classic and I noticed this past week when slowing down the handle bars shake if you give the handle bars free room but not completely removing your hands from them. Once a normal grip is back in place the shake or wobble stops. I have ordered new tires and the ones that are on the bike are Dunlops which are in need of replacement. I have ordered the Kenda Cruz 673's to try. The reviews I read had high marks. The Dunlops did not last as long as I would have thought, about 12,000 miles, but the rubber is softer I suppose. As far as normal riding, the bike is real smooth. Could the tires be causing this or is there some other problem that needs checking into ? A while back I had the maintenance thing done and the steering had to greased and tightened. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Have the neck bearings serviced adjusted, greased or replaced ! TOO [email protected]:

·
Registered
851 Posts
For years I ran Metzlers on my motocross bike, great tires but they cost a little more, a friend turned me on to Kenda's, they were less than half of what i was paying and had a great life, hooked up great, I didnt know or didnt think to ask if they made street tires. I run a wide white wall on my Deluxe, guess I'll be checking on that.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have never had any Kendas, but if my experience follows with them, you will be free of tracking for about 5000 miles, then they will begin to track again. Hopefully, not as badly as the previous tires, but it should start again. I am currently on Dunlop Elite3s and they were free of tracking for about 7500 miles and are only mildly tracking at about 10,500 and showing very good wear characteristics.
Mine were about $130 each from bikebandit. How does that compare with the Kendas? Thanks for keeping us posted, I'll reciprocate re the E3s.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I have never had any Kendas, but if my experience follows with them, you will be free of tracking for about 5000 miles, then they will begin to track again. Hopefully, not as badly as the previous tires, but it should start again. I am currently on Dunlop Elite3s and they were free of tracking for about 7500 miles and are only mildly tracking at about 10,500 and showing very good wear characteristics.
Mine were about $130 each from bikebandit. How does that compare with the Kendas? Thanks for keeping us posted, I'll reciprocate re the E3s.
Just curious...How can someone who has never had a particular tire have any experience with them?? Maybe you could clarify/explain what you wrote. Thanks.

I also use E3's. Just installed new E3's yesterday. The previous rear E3 gave me a trouble free 16k, and over 10k of that was pulling a heavy trailer.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just curious...How can someone who has never had a particular tire have any experience with them?? Maybe you could clarify/explain what you wrote. Thanks.

I also use E3's. Just installed new E3's yesterday. The previous rear E3 gave me a trouble free 16k, and over 10k of that was pulling a heavy trailer.
I think he is saying that from experience with different brand tires all tires do good for a few thousand miles then begin to track. He is speculating that the kendra will do the same.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I think he is saying that from experience with different brand tires all tires do good for a few thousand miles then begin to track. He is speculating that the kendra will do the same.
Hey, thanks for that insight. I was debating if I should even ask the question, considering the written word sometimes doesn't come across as it does when we speak it. :beer:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did not mean anything of the sort that I had experience with any tires. I have owned about 15 motorcycles over the yrs. I had 4 motocross and the rest were street machines. I am not one to have a professional opinion and don't claim to be. Up until my last bike " The Ultra " which I always wanted to own one for a long, I done all my own tire changing. I have tried a lot of tires of the yrs. Made several tire changes " Dunlops" and others on my Honda 750, a couple on the Yamaha twin 650, a couple on the Suzuki GT380, one set on Honda 350 twin. I have never tried Kenda tires but the reviews I had read rated them favorably. I was asked by Barney to report back my thoughts. So, I was hopefully fulfilling a request. I did not mean to bring negativity into the message. I would like to say, I enjoy all of your questions, thoughts on subjects, knowledge that the people in this forum have. Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts