V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
ahill said:
I know this is crazy, but I had my local dealer stop me from buying any grease from their store becouse they said I did not need to put any in! He insisted they would do it "IF" I had them do the 10,000 mile service! I know you all can see where I am going with this, but he said that the only way to really get the bearings greases was to pull them out and grease them that way! That by using the "ZERK" fittings that Harley installed on the neck would not get them greased properly! He said it would lube the lower bearings but not the upper one if I just pumped it in until I see it come out! Then I would have a mess when I was done!
What are your thoughts on this one???
I put grease in until it starts oozing from bottom. I clean that mess up and then wedge some paper towels all around the bottom of neck and start filling again. I pump until I see some start oozing out the top. 31K miles on '01 RK & 38K on '04 EGC and never had a problem using this method. -2$en#e-

I think the bearings aren't meant to be pulled until about 50K miles or if there is a problem with them before then. I could be wrong. Check owner's manual under maintenance records and it will say when they should be taken apart. But it does mention greasing them at 10K & 20K, I believe.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
ahill said:
I know this is crazy, but I had my local dealer stop me from buying any grease from their store becouse they said I did not need to put any in! He insisted they would do it "IF" I had them do the 10,000 mile service! I know you all can see where I am going with this, but he said that the only way to really get the bearings greases was to pull them out and grease them that way! That by using the "ZERK" fittings that Harley installed on the neck would not get them greased properly! He said it would lube the lower bearings but not the upper one if I just pumped it in until I see it come out! Then I would have a mess when I was done!
What are your thoughts on this one???
What a maroon (dealer, not you)... I did mine and it came out the bottom, then eventually came out the top... I kept at it until the new grease had pushed out the old top and bottom... now lets just see... don't BOTH bearings have to be somewhere between the top and the bottom...

tlewis.... CRAP... I have no idea if its paint safe (my dealer recommended it and said that is what they use in the neck), and my bike is still white, so that is a good sign. It isn't flying out... haven't seen it ooze even a little...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks! I knew I shouldn't have listened to him, I have been accused from some to ask a lot of questions regarding my bike a basic maint., but I just have never had anyone around who went thru this with me before! I will read through all you responses, and pick up some grease and put some in myself!
Thanks for the response!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
ahill said:
Thanks! I knew I shouldn't have listened to him, I have been accused from some to ask a lot of questions regarding my bike a basic maint., but I just have never had anyone around who went thru this with me before! I will read through all you responses, and pick up some grease and put some in myself!
Thanks for the response!
You never say what kind of bike but you might want to replace the straight zerk fitting with a 45 degree one. It makes for easier greasing by yourself.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I took someone's suggestion and put a 90º fitting on my grease gun hose... it just fit in there... filled it from the back... didn't have to go in through the nacelle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best grease you could ever use is a Poly-urea NLGI #2 grease. Purge the bearing or replace them. Grease it with the Poly-urea and in about 20 years you might need a new tube for your bike. Stuff is the best I have ever used and it is slippery.
Just wondering which Ploy-urea grease you use and where you get it from?.. thanks ..

41 - 46 of 46 Posts