V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Agreed!!

257bob said:
I would recommend anyone who has not done this to do it asap, regardless of the age of the bike. It appears the factory and the dealers don't grease the neck as per their own service manual. If the neck is not full of grease, water can get to the bearings.
After 30k miles I decided to start doing the maintenance on my own. You would have thought that if the dealer who had been doing the maintenance had been keeping up, then it would not have required much on my part to add some grease to the steering head. Well, think again. I'll bet I pumped in at least half a tube. Didn't think it was ever going to get full. And I could hear air coming out of the cavity with almost every pump.

Now I am beginning to understand why a lot of the riders I meet say they don't let the yuppies at the dealer touch their bikes. Makes me also wonder what else they have not been doing according to their own maintenance specifications!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
bigbluff said:
After 30k miles I decided to start doing the maintenance on my own. You would have thought that if the dealer who had been doing the maintenance had been keeping up, then it would not have required much on my part to add some grease to the steering head. Well, think again. I'll bet I pumped in at least half a tube. Didn't think it was ever going to get full. And I could hear air coming out of the cavity with almost every pump.

Now I am beginning to understand why a lot of the riders I meet say they don't let the yuppies at the dealer touch their bikes. Makes me also wonder what else they have not been doing according to their own maintenance specifications!
I hear ya man,... I had the exact same issue.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Starbound said:
Has anyone used any other brands of grease for the neck, swingarm or wheel bearings? I
Since I had Stalube high temp wheel bearing grease in the grease gun already,I just used that for the steering neck.
I think any good brand of bearing grease will work.
The only time the dealer serviced my '06 RG was for the 1K service.They did not even grease the steering neck!

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
Wow I can't believe this thread actualy went this far about what grease to use in a neck bearing. I grab my grease gun with what ever grease is in it and grease it up.-2$en#e- :whistle:

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
doc ock said:
Wow I can't believe this thread actualy went this far about what grease to use in a neck bearing. I grab my grease gun with what ever grease is in it and grease it up.-2$en#e- :whistle:

I used the 'whatever grease is in it' technique once. One really hot day after a good long hot ride it ran out from the bottom and filled the lower triple tree. I switched to an appropriate kind and now it stays in there.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
RG50 said:
The only time the dealer serviced my '06 RG was for the 1K service.They did not even grease the steering neck!
Hell, mine came brand new from dealer with no grease in steering neck.

I always replace that crappy fitting with a 45 degree fitting to make it easier to grease. Why can't H-D do this direct from factory when assembling? :dunno: Sure is a lot easier to grease without having to have 3 hands. When I took stock fitting out, I noticed no grease. I then took a toothpick and stuck it in the hole in neck and pulled it out clean. :blink:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Unome said:
Hell, mine came brand new from dealer with no grease in steering neck.

I always replace that crappy fitting with a 45 degree fitting to make it easier to grease. Why can't H-D do this direct from factory when assembling? :dunno: Sure is a lot easier to grease without having to have 3 hands. When I took stock fitting out, I noticed no grease. I then took a toothpick and stuck it in the hole in neck and pulled it out clean. :blink:
I think my bike came from the factory with no grease as well.
Must of took 40 pumps before I saw grease!
I also replaced the stock fitting with a 45.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The factory just greases the bearings. That's why it takes alot of grease to fill the neck the first time you grease it up.

·
Registered
938 Posts
road_king said:
The factory just greases the bearings. That's why it takes alot of grease to fill the neck the first time you grease it up.

Are the tight basterds just trying to save money on grease or do they want bearing failure so you have to bring it in so you pay them $$$?
I was told by a service writer that the bearings are not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I can't believe that HD recommends to fill the neck with grease on service, but doesn't put any in to start with ... WTF.

I put most of a tube in mine yesterday doing the 20k.

I bought a tube of BelRay Waterproof grease at my local HD. The parts guy said their service dept. likes it and uses it. Just put it in until you get a color change at the ooze points.

I may need to put more air in the front tire with all the extra weight up there.

So, how does one grease the swing arm bearings.????

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
8-Ball said:
You don't. Not a service part. When they wear out you replace them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I worked construction and we used high quality grease for the machines,good enough for million dollar equipment good enough for the glide,i was always suspect of work done especialy during the busy summer months,{got manual do own maintanence}.Major repairs ill still send out:banana:

·
Banned
482 Posts
petrock said:
I have no clue why Softails and Dyna's use different grease. Would be interesting to know though. Does anyone have a clue?

'Cause the factory can make money of of folks that don't know any better. I use wheel bearing grease in the fork stem bearings and it works fine. Every now and then I remove the bearings and clean the hell out of them then re-pack and re-install. Been doing it this way for 36 years...Must be OK.

·
Banned
482 Posts
8-Ball said:
I can't believe that HD recommends to fill the neck with grease on service, but doesn't put any in to start with ... WTF.

I put most of a tube in mine yesterday doing the 20k.

The bearings are packed at the factory before installation so the neck has no grease in it. When you put grease in at the first service interval you're filling up the steering head with grease...Takes quite a bit.

The swing arm bearings are called cleve blocks and are factory sealed and require no service...They are well designed and last a long time.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Dyna's have a swingarm bearing and if I'm not mistaken, in 04 or 05, HD changed from cleve blocks to some type of bearing/s in the swingarm on FLT bikes but I haven't messed with anything that new.

·
Banned
482 Posts
I believe you're right but I haven't had any swing arm related service come in on anything that new.

My specialty is the FXR family of bikes.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've run about 1,500 miles now with the BelRay waterproof grease and it isn't leaking down... feels like power steering now... what a difference.

I'm very pleased.

·
TL
500 Posts
8-Ball said:
I've run about 1,500 miles now with the BelRay waterproof grease and it isn't leaking down... feels like power steering now... what a difference.

I'm very pleased.
Is that stuff safe for painted surfaces? I assume it is or you wouldn't be using it. I always get blowback onto the top of the front head and often on the tank - especially in plus 80 degree weather.

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know this is crazy, but I had my local dealer stop me from buying any grease from their store becouse they said I did not need to put any in! He insisted they would do it "IF" I had them do the 10,000 mile service! I know you all can see where I am going with this, but he said that the only way to really get the bearings greases was to pull them out and grease them that way! That by using the "ZERK" fittings that Harley installed on the neck would not get them greased properly! He said it would lube the lower bearings but not the upper one if I just pumped it in until I see it come out! Then I would have a mess when I was done!
What are your thoughts on this one???

21 - 40 of 46 Posts