V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am fairly new to this board and new to the Harley Davidson's as well.

I am getting ready to do my 1st service and was reading the service manual and they mention greasing the steering stem bearings with a specific grease. Of course they give a HD part # of xxxxx. I find it refreshing that HD would install a grease fitting for the stem bearings but I have not found any for the swing arm bearings,:thumbsdn:

I sent the wife to the dealership where we purchased the bike and they do not sell the grease in tubes for a grease gun, they have it for "shop use only". And suggested that she make an appointment for me to bring the bike down to get the bearings greased. She told them she did not think that was a good idea.

Now, I figure if I use the grease gun that I do the front end of my car with, when it gets warm outside the grease will get runny and leak all over my new Ultra.

What the hell should I use?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
kwn306 said:
OK, I am fairly new to this board and new to the Harley Davidson's as well.

I am getting ready to do my 1st service and was reading the service manual and they mention greasing the steering stem bearings with a specific grease. Of course they give a HD part # of xxxxx. I find it refreshing that HD would install a grease fitting for the stem bearings but I have not found any for the swing arm bearings,:thumbsdn:

I sent the wife to the dealership where we purchased the bike and they do not sell the grease in tubes for a grease gun, they have it for "shop use only". And suggested that she make an appointment for me to bring the bike down to get the bearings greased. She told them she did not think that was a good idea.

Now, I figure if I use the grease gun that I do the front end of my car with, when it gets warm outside the grease will get runny and leak all over my new Ultra.

What the hell should I use?
Well being as Harley is so cheap. I would guess they are using a Lithium based NLGI #2 grease. More than likely from Mobil since they get most of the low bid business.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
The best grease you could ever use is a Poly-urea NLGI #2 grease. Purge the bearing or replace them. Grease it with the Poly-urea and in about 20 years you might need a new tube for your bike. Stuff is the best I have ever used and it is slippery.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
This is the grease I use for my RK steering head bearings.
Part number 99856-92 in standard 14 oz grease gun cartridge. Recommended for wheel bearings, steering head bearings (other than '97-later Softail® and Dyna) and rear swingarm bearings. Has less of a tendancy to lose viscosity under hot conditions vs the HD special purpose grease.
The contact at your HD dealer must be clueless.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steering Head bearings

Road King,

I have a 2004 Road King, doing the 10K service.

Where is the Steering Head Bearing stem located?

Can I use a stardard grease gun?

Thank You

JLOPEZ

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
JLopez said:
Road King,

I have a 2004 Road King, doing the 10K service.

Where is the Steering Head Bearing stem located?

Can I use a stardard grease gun?

Thank You

JLOPEZ
I hope you are doing this with a shop manual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wkohn,

I ordered the service manual on Tuesday of this week. It should arrive today or Monday.

Just doing some research and asking questions.

Thanks

Jlopez

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
JLopez said:
Wkohn,

I ordered the service manual on Tuesday of this week. It should arrive today or Monday.

Just doing some research and asking questions.

Thanks

Jlopez
Good cause otherwise it would be out to the woodshed. :nunu:

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
road_king said:
This is the grease I use for my RK steering head bearings.
Part number 99856-92 in standard 14 oz grease gun cartridge. Recommended for wheel bearings, steering head bearings (other than '97-later Softail® and Dyna) and rear swingarm bearings. Has less of a tendancy to lose viscosity under hot conditions vs the HD special purpose grease.
The contact at your HD dealer must be clueless.
And for those of us with '97-later Softails and Dynas, this is the stuff to use. Part # 99857-97, also in the 14 oz grease gun cartridge. Factory lubricant for '97-later Softail® and Dyna steering head bearings. Do not use on wheel bearings.

I have no clue why Softails and Dyna's use different grease. Would be interesting to know though. Does anyone have a clue?

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
petrock said:
And for those of us with '97-later Softails and Dynas, this is the stuff to use. Part # 99857-97, also in the 14 oz grease gun cartridge. Factory lubricant for '97-later Softail® and Dyna steering head bearings. Do not use on wheel bearings.

I have no clue why Softails and Dyna's use different grease. Would be interesting to know though. Does anyone have a clue?
:dunno: ...i'd like to know, too.

Maybe MOCO figures if you have 2 bikes, say a Superglide and an Ultra, you'll buy both greases and they'll make more $$$

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
I would like to know the difference too. Has anyone used any other brands of grease for the neck, swingarm or wheel bearings? I am getting ready to put my bike back together and would like to know. I can't believe that H.D. has some special formula for grease, you know someone makes it for them and is probably the same grease they make for other companies. I prefer synthetics but which would be the best for replacement? I ride a 1996 FXDL.

·
TL
500 Posts
I'm tired of cleaning the grease off my tank and motor from where it blows off the bottom of the steering head. I used the special purpose grease on my Softail, per instructions, but even in the cooler months it tends to run. I guess since I pumped about 2/3 tube in the neck, I've got a long way to go.

TL

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Deuce Man said:
:brows: The big question is do you prefer dino or synthetic grease and why!!!
The real question is do you prefer grease that last long (synthetic) and has a stronger film strength or do you prefer something that break down faster (dino) and has a weaker film strength?

By the way. The best grease you will be able to find and use is a polyurea grease. To use it either replace your bearing or flush them out and then put in the polyurea grease. After that you just don't need to grease as much anymore. But it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a lot of reading on lubricaton and decided to go with Amsoil products. I purchase them through a site sponser, George Douglas, and on his recommendation I bought a tube of Amsoil Syn Hvy-Duty Grease NLGI#2. I pumped most of the tube in a couple of months ago at my 10K service. I talked to George and three other riders that use Amsoil lube in their steering head and all say it doesn't leak. I've used Amsoil fluids in my last two Harleys and I have nothing bad to say about any of them. And the peace of mind I get using what I feel is a superior product is comforting when I'm hauling down the road. I paid $4.00 for a tube. I wouldn't compromise quality to save a dollar or so.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
I too run Amsoil products and I have been very happy with them. I don't know which grease would be the best to use though. I have a tube of the Amsoil Multi purpose grease NLGI #2. I think its basically the same as Heavy Duty just without the Moly. Would this grease work fine or should I buy the Heavy Duty grease with Moly?

Here is a link to the Multi Purpose:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/glc.aspx

And a link to the Heavy Duty:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ghd.aspx

What do you guy's think?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
special pupose grease

I'm like tlewis, pumped 3/4 tube of "special" grease in my 2005 RKC and started dripping all over the place until it hit 20 below (canada eh) I can't belive HD actually sells crap grease like this that breaks down as soon as you pump it in, live and learn...

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
pump it slow

I have heard that the trick is to pump it in real slow and to stop pumping as soon as you see it start to come out. I haven't tried that yet, but will be trying it soon. Of course, on an Ultra or Electra, it might not matter as much as the wind is pretty much blocked from the steering head so it won't blow back off it anyway. But it will still run down. Hopefully pumping it is slowly will make it so less will have gone in before it starts oozing out and it won't be under as much pressure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I doubt if you need some high tech, won't rust, bust or collect dust grease. Use any quality grade 2 bearing grease. I used Exxon Ronex MP 2 in both RK's. Clean off the excess grease when you finish filling the cavity. I had no issues with grease running off all summer on either bike.

I would recommend anyone who has not done this to do it asap, regardless of the age of the bike. It appears the factory and the dealers don't grease the neck as per their own service manual. If the neck is not full of grease, water can get to the bearings.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts