V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the handlebar dampers on my 00 RK during the last three days of rain we had. Took it for a test ride this morning and it is scaring me. The bike reacts to even the tiniest shift of weight and at slow speed it takes a lot of work to turn right. I must have screwed up something, but what? I didn't touch the steering head. I did have to grab the wheel to turn the front wheel left to right several times while the bars were off to get at the riser bolts. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
steering problem fixed

I put the bike up on the lift and looked at it again. The right riser bolt uses an extra washer that the left does not have and the aftermarket polyurethane dampers I used were thicker than the stock ones. This made the right bolt drag across the fork lock plate. When I replaced the dampers I didn't have the bike on the lift or I would have noticed it right away.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Re: steering problem fixed

fcoxwell said:
aftermarket polyurethane dampers I used were thicker than the stock ones.
I'm curious. Why did you replace these 'Dampers'?
I'm looking at the 'Parts Cat.' now and you're right about the 'right' and an extra washer.
Which part do you refer to as a 'Damper'?
#56161-83a, Rubber Bushings, 4 of.....?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rubber bushings. The right one had deformed and it made the handlebars look canted, the left a tiny bit forward of the right bar. I blame it on tying the bike down by the handlebars. I left that big washer off. I can't figure out why it is on the right bolt and not the left.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Frank,

Start tying the bike by the frame/crashbar instead.

I run a softy loop through the frame and the crash bar, on each side of the bike. It stabalizes enough that the bike won't tilt over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts