V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BFFB
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed a slight wobble in HARD curves after a slight dip or bump,,handles and steers fine on straight a ways and normal speed curves,,,bike has 26k i did 10 k service and didnt touch them,,dealer did 20k service and presumably checked them,,can any one explain in layman terms what you adjust when this is tightened ?? could this explain my wobble ??? i have heard hd beefed suspension and axle on 02's but this is on an 00 bike rk

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I would doubt steering head bearings are the trouble, but they are checked by raising bike with center stand on level surface so both tires are same distance from floor. Non-factory accessories may influence front end swing. Turn front wheel until contact is made with left fork stop and let it go. wheel should swing right, left, then right and stop. Wheel need not stop near the center or straight-forward, but it must move to the right making a partial third swing. If it doesn't progress to the third swing steering head is too tight. If it goes to the fourth swing (or change of direction) steering head is too loose. That's what the book says. good luck.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
steering head bearings are designed similar to the old type Harley wheel bearings. To adjust, loosen the fork stem nut, and under it there is a bearing adjuster star nut. turning star nut clockwise will tighten head bearings (pulls the bottom bearing and the top bearings closer together, and loading them tighter into the bearing races). Turning star nut counterclockwise will loosen the bearings.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
DOES IT WOBBLE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS? IF NOT CHECK ALIGNMENT OF THE REAR TIRE. I HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE JUST WHEEL ALIGNMENT. THESE RUBBER MOUNTS ARE FINICKY BEASTS WHEN IT CONMES TO GETTING EVERYTHING STRAIGHT.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Had similar problem on 00 Road King at 30k. I tore down front and check bearings. Dealer did the same. He concluded front wheel needed trued. I thought B.S. because still on orignal front tire. Took bike to independant. He looked at bike from 10 feet away and said "Your rear spokes are loose." They were. I asked how he knew by looking. He said he saw silver dust on rear wheel where spokes had been chewing up hub. He trued that wheel and fixed the problem.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spokes are ok,,due a new tire i will ask my tire guy about that allignment thing ,,,usually buy from ind. shop thats run by an old hi school buddy but dealer had to install this last one on the spur of the minute thanks guys

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Back in the 70's, I used to have a Honda with a black plastic knob up near the center of the handle bars. It allowed the rider the adjust the stearing head bearing on the move. At low speeds you could loosened it for easy turning, and at hight speeds you could tighten it to reduce the wobble. Man, remembering that make me feel old!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts