V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an 800 mile ride this week on my new 07 Street Glide. During the ride I noticed the front forks seemed to be turned off center to the right about 1/2". The bike tracked okay, but I'm not sure if this is right.

I went to the dealer today and spoke with the service manager who told me he has seen a "Couple of bikes do this but not to worry as it is normal." I asked him if he thought my rear wheel could be out of alignment. He said that is not possible with the new style rear adjustment cams. Is this bullshit or is he correct? Has anyone else encountered this condition?
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
muleskinner said:
I took an 800 mile ride this week on my new 07 Street Glide. During the ride I noticed the front forks seemed to be turned off center to the right about 1/2". The bike tracked okay, but I'm not sure if this is right.

I went to the dealer today and spoke with the service manager who told me he has seen a "Couple of bikes do this but not to worry as it is normal." I asked him if he thought my rear wheel could be out of alignment. He said that is not possible with the new style rear adjustment cams. Is this bullshit or is he correct? Has anyone else encountered this condition?
NOTHING out of place in your steering, brakes or other equipment that your LIFE depends on while riding is "normal" or acceptable for that matter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
maybe your handle bars a crooked. push your handle bars all the way to either right or left to the fork stop and push on the handlebars to try to straighten them out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
685 Posts
NORMAL thats a load of crap. What are you using as a reference to determine the forks are out of alignment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Your rear wheel cannot get out of line because of those cams, but the entire drive train (engine, tranny, rear fork & wheel) can get out of true to the remainder of the frame. There is a procedure for aligning it. I'd be back at the dealer insisting they check it.

That procedure is essentially setting the rear fork in a neutral position using a special tool or by an alternate method (which I am brain-locking on remembering), then adjusting the links that hold the engine in place to align it both horizontally and vertically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03 Roadking said:
NORMAL thats a load of crap. What are you using as a reference to determine the forks are out of alignment?

I'm using the lower dash just below the radio by the forks. If you are riding the bike the gap between the area where the handle bars mount is farther from the gas tank on the left side by about 3/4 of an inch, maybe. The handle bars using the grip as a reference also seem to be farther from the tank on the left side by about 3/4 of an inch, maybe. Also, the ignition switch center seems to be a bit to the left of center using the gas tank console key cylinder portion you open to access the gas tank filler neck. I know it seems confusing, but that's the only way I can describe it.

I didn't notice it until I took this trip, but sitting on the bike for hour after hour on the freeway you start to notice things, like the wah, wah, wah type whine the primary chain makes, which I firmly believe is due to the tightness of the chain caused by the auto chain tensioner. There have been posts on other HD forums regarding that concern also. But,,,, that is another issue.
 

·
155" R&R TwinCam
Joined
·
3,437 Posts
The alignment is done laying a straightedge from the front wheel to the rear wheel,it should make contact with both tires front and back at the same time.To adjust, link in front of motor,once set,top link, adjust until bolt will drop in hole with no resistance,tighten everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dog155 said:
The alignment is done laying a straightedge from the front wheel to the rear wheel,it should make contact with both tires front and back at the same time.To adjust, link in front of motor,once set,top link, adjust until bolt will drop in hole with no resistance,tighten everything.

Can you explain this procedure in a bit more detail please. Then, being the hands on mechanic type, I will try to align it myself. I HATE taking my bike to the dealer service departartment.

Don't worry about it, I found the procedure on another thread search. I tried to do it, but you really need a bike lift to do it with a lazer, which I have, or a straight edge, as using wood blocks blocks the path to the front tire.

Tuesday morning I will speak with the GM of the dealership and demand he have it checked with he and I standing there when they do it. I have spend almost $70,000.00 on bikes and accessories there in the last two years. They had better look at it and fix it if possible or I will take my business elsewhere!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
NOTHING out of place in your steering, brakes or other equipment that your LIFE depends on while riding is "normal" or acceptable for that matter...

Exactly...the only thing normal is how the stealers say everythings "normal" when they can't fix it.


Ride Safe
-Randy-
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
dog155 said:
The alignment is done laying a straightedge from the front wheel to the rear wheel,it should make contact with both tires front and back at the same time.To adjust, link in front of motor,once set,top link, adjust until bolt will drop in hole with no resistance,tighten everything.
Not unless both tires are the same width...you can use 2 straight edges and measure the distance on both sides of the front tire...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top