V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
an idea

Sounds like that could get interesting real quick.

"How bad did the dealership rob you when purchasing your scooter?"

I will take the next few days and see what forums arent getting any activity and make some adjustments.

thanks for your input

oh, and welcome to the HarleyDavidsonForum!

:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nah, lets air every piece of dirty laundry we have!!! I'm bettin' there won't be many " I love my dealer" stories here!!! Wouldn't you want to know if a dealer you are thinking about buying a motorcycle from was nothing but a bunch of shysters and BS artists before you layed out your down payment??

Knowledge is power. Be as smart about your dealer as you are about the product he sells.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Can't wait to see this one develop. LOL

Will not be able to contribute much, as the grand total of times my last three bikes have been at a dealer for repair or service is a whopping one, but even this one was not without incident.

The 99 had a habit of dying under full throttle and eventually I traced it back to the Bank Angle Sensor and corrected it with a heavy tie wrap putting tension on the mounting bracket. A few months later apparently the factory agreed and issued a recall to replace the bracket. While no longer having a problem, I figured why not have the proper part on the bike, and asked the dealer to give me one of the new brackets, which they refused to do, stating that THEY had to perform the recall.
Against my better judgment i decided to let them install the bracket, thinking "how much can they fupp duck one bolt". Right.

After waiting for about one hour watching the guy working on the bike drink coffee I decided to go out and have a smoke. Big mistake. When I picked up the bike, I inmediately noticed that the Mustang seat was not flush against the tank panel and that the wiring harnes on one side was caught between the seat and the frame. Being a non confrontational sort, I figured it will only take me five minutes at home to make it right. Mistake number two.
Before reaching the curb, and still in the dealers driveway my left saddlebag fell off. It obviously had not been properly reattached.

That one bracket cost the dealer $600.00. When they told me I had to wait for a new saddlebag, I just walked into the showroom and took a saddlebag off a new bike sitting on the floor and advised them that since it was their problem, they should be the ones waiting for a saddlebag.
They didn't say a thing. For the most part now they give me the recall parts.

B

·
0 Posts
Great story

I wish I could have seen the look on the ole boys face when you took that saddlebag off of the showroom floor bike. :)

For some reason, on factory recalls, the dealerships must HAVE to install parts etc. I had a recall on one of my vehicles and went to the auto dealership and all it required was a plastic clip and a small hex nut. (for seatbelt assembly)

Not only did I have to wait about an hour for my car to enter the bay, but it took less than 5 minutes for the wrench to fix it.

I knew exactly how to do it since the manufacturer sent out a recall notice and told me what needed to be done. BUT, what happens is the dealership loses money if they dont perform the work.

They have to justify charging GM HQ $50 an hour etc...If they just hand out parts, they dont get credit for the fix...

B6

·
Registered
102 Posts
I paid MSRP + automatic $500 setup fee. They installed all the extras I asked for at no extra charge. Keep in mind though that I did my research. I have 7 or 8 dealers within a couple of hours drive. I've visited them all and I know my experience wouldn't have been the same at some of them. As far as MSRP, they are the only dealer in the area to sell for that.

I visited a dealer VERY close to my house and told the salesdick I was interested in a Deuce and I was wondering how long the wait was. He said, "You don't have to wait, there's one right there" as he pointed to the only Deuce at the dealer. This thing had maybe $1,000 in extras including the new pipe and they wanted freakin' $21k (I had already looked at it). I told him I wasn't interested in that one and he just looked at me without saying anything.... ****'em...

Each dealer I've visited seems to have it's own personality. I think the dealer I like VISITING the most is in Fairfield, CA. They usually have alot of bikes on the floor, but the unique thing is that they have a large showroom and they put the bikes at least 10 feet apart. They almost beg you to sit on them. I've only been there a couple of times, but both times there have been people sitting on bikes all over the place. It has been my experience that most Harley dealers practically discourage you from sitting on the bikes by putting them so damn close together you're lucky if you can walk between them. Who in their right mind would spend that kind of cash without even being able to sit on the damn thing first!

Anyway, at that same dealer I saw the sweetest Deuce I've ever seen (asking $26k). It even had it's anus chromed. The three things I remember the most were that it had a chromed 80 spoke front wheel with a rear to match, factory Teal paint job, and ape hangers. Ape Hangers? Yep, APE HANGERS! I never thought a Deuce would looke good with ape hangers, but this bike was freakin' sweet!!!

O.K., I'm rambling.... I'm out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
sned
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing