V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Dyna in for the recall service last week. While it was in, I had them look at a couple of other issues that I felt were covered under warranty. First, my fuel gauge would never stay in the tank. It just sort of sat there and you could lift it up really easy. It wouldn't snap down in like it was supposed to. Second, the bike has always had a minor low speed wobble and a clunk in the front end. (Now, for the sake of the story, you should know that my bike has a HD chrome cover over the steering stem nut. It has a bar and shield on it.)

So I go to pick up the bike. Service woman pulls my sheet and says, "Ok, you owe us $35.74"...

I say, "Huh, what for?"

She reads the sheet to me and says, "Customer pulled on fuel gauge, please inform customer do not pull on fuel gauge. Neck bearing torque was off because non-Harley tech (or customer) installed chrome cover and twisted steering stem nut while trying to line up Bar and Shield logo on chrome cover."

I think about this for a second and say, "That's a load of crap. I'm disputing those charges."

She says, "Well, you'll need to talk to the service manager, he wrote this up." and she starts to walk off to go get him.

I stop her and say, "When you're back there, you tell him I didn't just fall off the damned truck. No one pulled on that fuel gauge and if he can turn that neck bearing nut by twisting that chrome cover, I'll give him $200 cash. That bar and shield logo is a sticker that was applied AFTER the chrome cover was installed. The chrome cover is held in place with a tiny allen bolt. PLUS, the neck bearing isn't even adjusted by that nut, there is a star wheel under the triple clamp that adjusts bearing pressure and fall away. Remind him that this is a Dyna, not a Softail"

So I sat there and steamed for a minute while she disappeared in the back of the shop. She was only gone about a minute, and when she came back, she said...

"He's in a meeting right now and can't come up to talk to you. He told me to just wave the charges. So there is no charge."

Then she apologized and explained that she had nothing to do with any of it. She is as nice a lady as you will meet and I believe her. I was nice to her through the whole thing. It just burns my ass that they just had to take a little shot and try to beat me out of some money. It was only $35 and that's nothing, but it's the principle of the thing. Most people wouldn't know any better and would've just forked over the money. Bullshit like this aggravates the hell out of me. I'll never buy anything in there again.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Had a dealer back in the 70's drain and steal the gas from my tank. I had just filled up prior to taking it in the day before. After picking up the bike, I hit reserve before I got out of the parking lot. Went back in and told the service mgr. that he owed me some gas money, to which he replied, "Maybe it evaporated."

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a dealer in SW Ohio. Eastgate HD. I don't know if this is typical behavior from them or if it was just an isolated incident. Either way, it pissed me off. I have the service sheet here on my desk and it's the way it was worded thats annoying. If they had simply said "Adjustment not covered under warranty", I probably would have paid for it. But they had to point a finger and I knew they were wrong. I'm thinking about calling a warranty rep at the moco and ratting on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I won't agree or or disagree with you about them trying to pull a fast one since I don't know the whole story here.

I just wanted to say I have this happen to me several times a day at work, except I'm the other guy. The one saying its not under warranty and you owe for the repair. I'm an appliance repair technician, and on an average day I will probably make 12 housecalls. On avarage, 9 or 10 of those stops are for something thats under warranty, and many times its less than 2 weeks old. Again on average, probably 4 of those 9 or 10 warranty calls each day I have to charge the customer for the service call because it was not for an actual failure of the appliance. Its usually a problem with their plumbing, electrical, drainage, improperly used, abused, or it was installed incorrectly, or they needed to be educated on how to use it properly. Or a lot of times they just didn't read the Use and Care manual. All things which are not covered under the warranty. When I tell them that, they say the same thing you just said and don't want to pay for anything. Even though it clearly states in the warranty contract "customer will be responsible for all repair costs if problem was not an actual appliance failure............", and all of our secrataries even remind everyone of this when setting up the calls, they play ignorant and say "no one told them that."
I get really tired of having to fight with customers about this issue every day.

·
Registered
944 Posts
PeepingTom said:
I won't agree or or disagree with you about them trying to pull a fast one since I don't know the whole story here.

I just wanted to say I have this happen to me several times a day at work, except I'm the other guy. The one saying its not under warranty and you owe for the repair. I'm an appliance repair technician, and on an average day I will probably make 12 housecalls. On avarage, 9 or 10 of those stops are for something thats under warranty, and many times its less than 2 weeks old. Again on average, probably 4 of those 9 or 10 warranty calls each day I have to charge the customer for the service call because it was not for an actual failure of the appliance. Its usually a problem with their plumbing, electrical, drainage, improperly used, abused, or it was installed incorrectly, or they needed to be educated on how to use it properly. Or a lot of times they just didn't read the Use and Care manual. All things which are not covered under the warranty. When I tell them that, they say the same thing you just said and don't want to pay for anything. Even though it clearly states in the warranty contract "customer will be responsible for all repair costs if problem was not an actual appliance failure............", and all of our secrataries even remind everyone of this when setting up the calls, they play ignorant and say "no one told them that."
I get really tired of having to fight with customers about this issue every day.

Peeping Tom.. Have you made your millions repairing Maytag NEPTUNE junk??

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
minivan said:
Peeping Tom.. Have you made your millions repairing Maytag NEPTUNE junk??
Does it matter? I agree with him. The average person is a dumbass. You point out the facts to them and they think its lousy customer service, or why doesn't this large company do it for free. They can't throw every one a bone. Problem is people don't want to pay for what they get.

I am not saying this is the case here.

Its my experience that if you round up the world is full of dumb asses. Statistically speaking we probably have one here:clap:

Not saying that is the case here. Sounds like they were trying to screw him.

·
Can it get any better!
423 Posts
What chaps me is that some places (like maybe this dealer) figure there are more than a few dumbsh!ts out there and treat EVERYBODY as one. But crap like what he put on the invoice would make me come unglued! And I agree, I'd never step in the place again and I'd let them know that too!!

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
You guys need to talk to DirtyJim. It's a soft market and the dealers are doing all they can to keep their head above water. Have some passion.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
JamieWG,

First thing I would do is get together with the General Manager or owner or both and talk to them. Your problem could be with the Service Manager or maybe even the tech that did the job. Based on what you stated, it sure sounds like someone has a definite problem.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Jamiewg, you got so pissed, you never told us the results----did thhey fix the wobble and guage?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
PeepingTom said:
Well...not exactally. I have made my millions be repairing every piece of junk Maytag/Amana makes.
Tom,

So Maytag's junk now?? Didn't know that. Thought Maytag repair men slept all day.^rolleyez^

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
JamieWG said:
I took my Dyna in for the recall service last week. While it was in, I had them look at a couple of other issues that I felt were covered under warranty. First, my fuel gauge would never stay in the tank. It just sort of sat there and you could lift it up really easy. It wouldn't snap down in like it was supposed to. Second, the bike has always had a minor low speed wobble and a clunk in the front end. (Now, for the sake of the story, you should know that my bike has a HD chrome cover over the steering stem nut. It has a bar and shield on it.)

So I go to pick up the bike. Service woman pulls my sheet and says, "Ok, you owe us $35.74"...

I say, "Huh, what for?"

She reads the sheet to me and says, "Customer pulled on fuel gauge, please inform customer do not pull on fuel gauge. Neck bearing torque was off because non-Harley tech (or customer) installed chrome cover and twisted steering stem nut while trying to line up Bar and Shield logo on chrome cover."

I think about this for a second and say, "That's a load of crap. I'm disputing those charges."

She says, "Well, you'll need to talk to the service manager, he wrote this up." and she starts to walk off to go get him.

I stop her and say, "When you're back there, you tell him I didn't just fall off the damned truck. No one pulled on that fuel gauge and if he can turn that neck bearing nut by twisting that chrome cover, I'll give him $200 cash. That bar and shield logo is a sticker that was applied AFTER the chrome cover was installed. The chrome cover is held in place with a tiny allen bolt. PLUS, the neck bearing isn't even adjusted by that nut, there is a star wheel under the triple clamp that adjusts bearing pressure and fall away. Remind him that this is a Dyna, not a Softail"

So I sat there and steamed for a minute while she disappeared in the back of the shop. She was only gone about a minute, and when she came back, she said...

"He's in a meeting right now and can't come up to talk to you. He told me to just wave the charges. So there is no charge."

Then she apologized and explained that she had nothing to do with any of it. She is as nice a lady as you will meet and I believe her. I was nice to her through the whole thing. It just burns my ass that they just had to take a little shot and try to beat me out of some money. It was only $35 and that's nothing, but it's the principle of the thing. Most people wouldn't know any better and would've just forked over the money. Bullshit like this aggravates the hell out of me. I'll never buy anything in there again.
make sure you tell them that too. Give them an out though. Say that a $200 gift certificate might ease your resentment

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
All vehichle dealers are scorpions

Jamie wg, bravo on your cool victory. My opinion is their scorpions, and I never go into their pit unready to get stung by their $$ tails. You get stung if you go in there unaware, thats been my expierence.

You did good man. Nice shooting :gun:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
berserker said:
Its my experience that if you round up the world is full of dumb asses. Statistically speaking we probably have one here:clap:
Look around you. If it ain't us then it's probably.............. %[email protected] :whistle:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
csoday said:
You guys need to talk to DirtyJim. It's a soft market and the dealers are doing all they can to keep their head above water. Have some passion.

....and don't forget the housing disaster! :roflback:

·
Registered
944 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Tom,

So Maytag's junk now?? Didn't know that. Thought Maytag repair men slept all day.^rolleyez^
Not sure about all of them, but if you spent $1200 on a washer and it did what the Neptunes have done, you would understand.. POS.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Tom,

In my opinion the whole company's quality and reliability went to **** as soon as they merged with Amana.

I don't want to hijack JamieWG's thread here so if you want to talk about this any more please start another thread or PM me. I'll be glad to give you my opinion on everything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
screwed

I went to the dealer yesterday to get a couple of plugs and the muffler gaskets ..$32 and change..I said..how muck for the gaskets..he refigured and the bill was $18 and change...honest mistake????? Check 'em close..times are getting lean..the wifes car payment is due...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.