V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let others out there know that they need to try to stay clear of Heartland Harley Davidson of West Burlington Iowa. A friend of mine is/was in the market for a 1200 sportster. After check with a couple of dealerships she, being his wife got the best price from Heartland and asked them to fax her a copy of the total price so she would have it. This included tax, title, license, and any fees. The price total was $10,750. Also over the phone the salesman had agreed to throw in abackrest for half price and he would take care of the labor to have it put on. (Aprox $200 value for my friends). After arriving at the dealer the saleman said he had made a mistake and the bike had a securty system on it but to offset that he would go ahead and give them a $400 in store gift card as well and then pay for all the backrest including labor. The deal was getting better by the minute. They agred this was a good deal on the bike and decided to buy it. Well they statred paperwork and my wife and i were off looking at the other bikes giving them their privacy. After about ten minutes we notice the owner is now setting in the cubicle with my two friends and the salesman looks like a scalded dog. I over hear the owner say, "I really wish we could do business with you" at this point i knew something was up. I walked over and into the cubicle along with my wife. The owner of the dealership proceds to say, i am sorry but i cant honor that price on that fax. Then says to my friends "did you ACTUALLY think you were going to get a free backrest and did you ACTAUALLY think you were going to get a $400 gift card"? He said "that was NEVER going to happen. My wife then, "(being the shy quiet one, not), steps up and says so we drove all the way over here, (its aprox 40 miles from my home), and you wont honor the price you quoted?" The Owner looks right at her (my wife) and in a VERY rude tone says...."And YOU are?, are YOU going to be signing papers, are YOU going to be riding this bike". She is just awe struck and doesnt know what to say at his rudeness. She said no she is just a friend. He then says he is sorry but there was a mix up, still in a rude manner and the bike the price was being quoted for was a 883. He said there is no way in the world i can sell you the 1200 for that price let alone give you all the free stuff. He said the best he could do would be well over $11,900 then the backrest would be full price ontop of that plus labor. (Well he did offer a %20 discount on parts for the bike but everyone gets that on new bike purchases.)
Needless to say my friends and i walked out with no bike. About a week later they received a $25 gift card in the mail that they HAVE to use in the store and at no other HD dealer. I tried approx 8 times to talk to the store ownerand he would personaly NEVER return my calls. I told my same story to 3 others in the dealership explaining to them that this needed to be handled between the owner andmyself yet he would never have the guts to get on the phone and talk to me. Great way to run a business huh? Just a FYI ou tthere stay clear of Heartland Harley Davidson of West Burlington Iowa unless you want to be treated this same way before AND after the purchase you make there.

Andy

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Just based on some quick research on the HD website. There are 7 different Sportster models. The high end range MSRP is roughly $9000-$10500ish for the best 883 and then for the 1200's.

Not having the benefit of your birdseye view of this transaction, unless I am missing something here, I am not real clear on why the owner was belly aching over this deal. Okay, so maybe they goofed a bit on the quotation, but it was far from a catastrophic error. He should have sold them the bike with a smile and sent the fine folks on their way. :wavey:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deucedog said:
Just based on some quick research on the HD website. There are 7 different Sportster models. The high end range MSRP is roughly $9000-$10500ish for the best 883 and then for the 1200's.

Not having the benefit of your birdseye view of this transaction, unless I am missing something here, I am not real clear on why the owner was belly aching over this deal. Okay, so maybe they goofed a bit on the quotation, but it was far from a catastrophic error. He should have sold them the bike with a smile and sent the fine folks on their way. :wavey:

My feelings excatly! He was way out of line.

Andy

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
This is the second time I have heard of this tactic. The other was by California HD in Lomita/Harbor City. They quoted a guy a price on the phone, he drove 50 miles to the dealer, and they they upped the price on him too.

Pretty shady way to make money.
It's called lying and cheating, plain and simple.​

·
Registered
822 Posts
I recently had a similar experience with a dealer here in Colorado. I made a deal with the salesman for a 08 Ultra Classic. I gave him my credit card number and everything so he could get the paperwork rolling over the phone (i was at work when we finally came to an agreement on the price). He called me back a few minutes later and told me his manager squashed the deal. He told me MSRP was the lowest they'd go. They said they can sell that bike all day at MSRP instead of the $500 discount I wanted. I said go ahead and sell it to someone else and walked. I ended up buying a POSE Ultra Classic from Milwaukee HD for $3000 under list.:eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I even called harley corporate and they said they couldnt do anything about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to bump this back up to the top for any potential new summer time buyers.

Andy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump Bump Bump

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

The owner didn't sell them the bike because he would have missed an opportunity to bend a customer over.

I hope your friends filed a complaint with the BBB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ah the old "Security System" trick... why would they NOT know the bike has an alarm?

If you would like negotiation advice, I can offer some help. PM me. Can't guarantee results, but I can give you my 2-cents and what I have learned as "the guy" in my family that always “makes the deal” on cars and motorcycles.

Important fact #1: there are more Harley dealers than the nearest Harley dealer.
Important fact #2: especially when buying new, there is more than one of the bike you like… it’s just somewhere else.

My opinion is, the woman should negotiate because this will enable an advantage. If the woman is timid, easily influenced by salesmen, and/or doesn’t have any negotiation experience, she needs to prepare and prepare hard for the advantages to come out. Use role playing. Get your friends involved. Do you have a good friend that is a salesman of any kind? Get him/her involved. Practice, practice, practice.

Think psychology, and you expose a woman’s advantage in negotiating. This at times may sound sexist, but I am trying to help and you can use what you want from it. Men and women are different, so don’t assume I’m saying men are better. Just better drivers!

Advantage #1: Women are very good at multitasking, and most men aren’t. Example: many woman are good at looking and being sexy (operating her body and talking in a way that is alluring and therefore distracting to a male, etc.) while at the same time keeping their objective in sight and on path. This is two or more things at once in a very calculated manner in order to gain control, and many women can do this naturally. Compare this to a guy, who has the objective of getting a girl to go on a date with him, but immediately loses his cool when it comes time to ask her on that date unless he has had a great deal of practice and has become the local player… in turn, he has a great deal of confidence stored up in order to mitigate his natural lack of multi-tasking skills.

And, with that said, for men, I would recommend that he gets in the mindset of a player before negotiating. Get confident. Get cocky. Watch the movie Hitch, read a “getting girls” book, go to the bar and hit on girls until you get it right (if you are single). Whatever makes you more confident, do a ton of it until you feel like “The Man”. Just make sure it’s not illegal, put you into debt, or does damage to your Harley! :)

Advantage #2: Most HD salesmen are not used to negotiating with women. You now have the element of surprise if the woman has been trained to negotiate. If the woman is timid or has no negotiating experience, role play. Get everyone you know who has ever bought a car/bike and especially some sales men friends. Grill her. Dig in. Challenge her until she starts winning. Practice, practice, practice. Women are very, very competitive, but passively. Enable her ability to both passively and OVERTLY be competitive which his another instance of multi-tasking she can utilize to her advantage. Men aren’t good at passive competitiveness. Also task the woman (your wife, friend, etc.) to bring up multiple topics at the same time. This is to ensure the salesmen cannot spend time thinking about how to beat her or take advantage of her. These topics should be intellectual, more often negative than positive, not about expensive material things, and they can include talk about how you like other brands of bikes… especially Victory.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
If they gave the price In Writing, you can take them to court for Breach of Contract. You can also file a complaint with the State.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
There's no contract without an offer, acceptance and consideration. An agreement (fax) without consideration is not a contract. Consideration is a promise, an act and represents the value in the contract.

Unfortunately the offer didn't indicate the consideration fax (For x dollars we will sell you the following, etc...)

I know this doesn't help you but these are the things that allow them to do this. Life lesson maybe?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it was a life lesson for sure and a dealership i will never set foot in again for ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heartland Harley

I also had a bad experiance at Heartland. My wife and I have been riding together for about 12 years. Been riding a Kawasaki Voyger, got them real cheap,had 2. I had Harleys when i was younger and always wanted another one. We decided to get one. Was looking for a good used Ultra-Classic. Was in HEARTLAND 3 DIFFERANT TIMES with between 15-16 thousand to spend. Couldn't get noone to wait on us and answer questions. Thought that we would spend our money close to home. After the third time in there with no help I told her noway would I buy a motorcycle from them. TNT was to high to buy from at the time we was looking. This was in 2009 and been in there a couple times since and still wont buy anything from them. Don't even like wearing the 2 t-shirts I already had from there. The owner of Heartland can kiss my as_ before I give him any of my money. Sure it won't break his heart, but I hope enough people see these forums to decide to go somewhere other than Heartland. Ended up getting a 2005 ultra-classic from Lenter's in Ottumwa,Iowa. Got it for a decent price, they was very knowledgeable about what they had and very helpful on the sales floor. When I go to buy another bike Lenter's will be my first stop. Might not buy from them but they will have first shot to sell me one. Just people would like to know that these incidents at Heartland is not just a once-in-a-while thing. They have been shitty to do buisness with for a long time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts