V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldn't find any answer. Does anyone know how many watts of juice a stock (year 2000 in my case) FXST puts out? thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
generator is rated 40amps as per after market direct replacement part for 2000 up TCs, don't know what rating the touring bike have.
Should give about 13.8V *40 amp=550 Watts, not all of that is usable, wouldn't load it much more than 70%, just 0.02 cts from the old days of car wrenching

·
Registered
20 Posts
amps x volts = watts or 40 x 13.5 = 540 watts @ a specific RPM, if the bike is a carburetor model it should use somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 +/- watts to run all the lights and ignition system, any other accessories just add to the equation. I gather you are attempting to "add" a electrical consuming device to your scooter?

If you install LED lights (turn, running, brake, dash, etc.) you can drop your consumption drastically. Also installing some type of heavy duty head light wiring harness that works directly off the battery through relays will drop your consumption as well. M/C manufactures get by with the smallest size wire they can use and it not burn up, but that greatly increases the resistance going to the devise (light, etc.) and will increase the demand on the charging system. You will also need to install a load equalizer or LED flasher to make the turn signals work with LED bulbs. I purchased all my stuff from a company called Totally Wired Cycles (www.totallywiredcycles.com), located in northern NJ, owner name is Tammy.

I drive a Kawasaki Concours to work on a daily basis in the winter, it has a 400 watt alternator (@ 5,000 rpm), ride two up, wife uses heated jacket, pants and gloves, I use just a jacket and gloves, that's a total of 260 watts of heated gear. Without the above mentioned modifications it couldn't happen and we have a trouble free ride.

The above mentioned post recommends not loading to more than 70%, which is conservative and a good rule of thumb, I push my Concours to 82%.

Just left a deposit on a 06 Ultra :thumbsup: , they (HD) increased the alternator output to 50 amps on the touring bikes for 06. I will still apply the same modifications stated above to lessen the draw to the charging system for winter time riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts