V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me, how difficult a job is it to replace the stator on a 2013 street glide with 103 engine?
Pain in the rear or simple?

·
Super Moderator
3,332 Posts
Not too bad when you have the factory service manual.It is a must if you plan on doing your own repairs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too bad when you have the factory service manual.It is a must if you plan on doing your own repairs.
will get a manual for sure. Is this an all weekend deal or just an hour or 2? Not sure yet if its the stator or regulator, but just looking at the worst case scenario..

·
Super Moderator
21,236 Posts
6 pack Saturday job. You will need to pull the comp and clutch hub. So read through the process in the manual, and gather up any tools you're lacking before you start.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Yes. The comp sprocket socket is torx 60 iirc,,, I was sure it would strip the bolt head,,, but it did not.. you will need the primary lock bar as well.... other that that, pay attention to how everything came off,, and reinstall in reverse order...i

·
Banned
398 Posts
I will say it is a slippery slope-
At least for me, everything is because I will examine everything in that area.
The most IMPORTANT part is
Use a QUALITY replacement, not china junk.!! (CE?)
As a precaution, I would consider replacing the regulator too.
That will ensure a new wire all the way to the battery and a good connection-replace the in-line CB too. (if you have one)
Shims-
You will have shims don't lose them, misplace them.
I have just got started............lol
shoe?
chain?
sprocket?
clutch?
see what I mean?
you are already in there!
Perhaps a great time for new a belt drive?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May not bother than. I found a 2013 street glide with 9500 miles on it for a decent price. says it needs the regulator, but i was just thinking worse case scenario the stator.. Can run the bike a few days on a hot battery but battery will finally die, not being charged..

·
Banned
398 Posts
Don't let me sow you dwn-
a stator is EZ if you have mechanical exp.
if this is your first try I would say no

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't let me sow you dwn-
a stator is EZ if you have mechanical exp.
if this is your first try I would say no
well, ive fooled with bikes and cars all my life, just never a Harley or a stator.. Have built a few car engines, just not this particular job..

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
May not bother than. I found a 2013 street glide with 9500 miles on it for a decent price. says it needs the regulator, but i was just thinking worse case scenario the stator.. Can run the bike a few days on a hot battery but battery will finally die, not being charged..
You are not going to "run the bike a few days" if the regulator is junk. It will probably die within 2 hours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Many times in looking at cars and bikes, the seller is a master troubleshooter, knows the problem, swears on his (or anyone else’s) mother’s grave, then you buy it for what you conceive as ‘a good price’, throw your new part on there, and son-of-a-bitch if that ain’t the problem...🤔
I don’t know, seems like a rerun to me. Even though ‘it can only be one of two things’, but what if the shaft that turns the rotor is stripped? That may cost a little more than just a regulator, or just a stator...
My point is, you really don’t know until the problem is fixed...so be careful!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many times in looking at cars and bikes, the seller is a master troubleshooter, knows the problem, swears on his (or anyone else’s) mother’s grave, then you buy it for what you conceive as ‘a good price’, throw your new part on there, and son-of-a-bitch if that ain’t the problem...🤔
I don’t know, seems like a rerun to me. Even though ‘it can only be one of two things’, but what if the shaft that turns the rotor is stripped? That may cost a little more than just a regulator, or just a stator...
My point is, you really don’t know until the problem is fixed...so be careful!
very true. He said the dealer told him it was the regulator, but im not sure they actually looked at it though..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don’t recall the word “dealer”...but if it was, I’d be more skeptical!
How does a dealer troubleshoot your bike? By throwing parts at it, and charging you.

·
Banned
398 Posts
I see no reason to even spend the time( and money) diagnosing a charging system failure.
They are so simple on a Harley.
Replace both parts and be done and over.
Simple.
Then it is all new again for ten or more years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I see no reason to even spend the time( and money) diagnosing a charging system failure.
They are so simple on a Harley.
Replace both parts and be done and over.
Simple.
Then it is all new again for ten or more years.
Very true in a lot of cases. No matter what, that plug on the front will deteriorate long before the stator or the regulator. By replacing both, you replace both ends of that plug...
Depends on the person as far as whether or not you’re wasting your time. Wrenching is therapeutic, so therefore, troubleshooting is even more therapeutic, and I need lots of therapy!
That being said, my original stator is still in my 87 FXRS, and still working well, although I have replaced two regulators.
Both sides of that plug have been gone since 2005 when I cut it out, lengthened the 2 wires from the stator, and filled the hole with red RTV. I crimped the wires to the regulator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts