V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about replacing the stator and rotor this winter and upgrading to the 45a.

1) Are there any special tools I will need other than:
alternator rotor puller & primary locking device?
According to the manual the whole primary and clutch must be removed.

2) To install a new clutch are any special tools required?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The stators are all the same, the difference from the 38A to the 45A is in the rotor magnets.

You can lock the primary with a piece of steel bar cut to size. You don't need a tool to pull the 38A rotors, but the 45A will cut your fingers off, just use a couple big bolts to hold them. Watch the spacers as they vary.

No special tools for the clutch on the late bikes, except a left handed socket. :D

You need a big torque wrench, something like 150 ft/lb

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You already have the 45A on the Ultra, what makes you think you need it on the King?
Generally speaking the 38A systems seem to be more reliable.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local shop said all they had was the 45a and that it was the new replacement for the 38a. I am not running any extra lights or anything and I am concerned about putting out too many amps and not needing them.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Like I said, the stators are the same, they just have the old version that burned up and a revised version that supposedly doesn't.
There are two different rotors to go with them, the 38A and the 45A. There is no need to replace the rotor when replacing the stator, so the output of the system would be the same even using the new revised stator.
It's academic really, but people that work on Harleys and don't know what they are talking about pi$$ me off.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. That is why I spend so much time every day reading the posts here. Especially yours. It gives me a way to check what the dealers tell me and a way for me to learn to do repairs and maintenance myself and make sure it is done right. It don't always save money doing it myself but the satisfaction and learning experience I get makes it valuable to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts