V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter stays engaged. the minute I turn the ignition on it engages. As I'm riding, every time I engage the clutch to shift gears I can hear it grind. THe dealer says maybe the Bendix Gear. Other thoughts? If it is the Bendix gear, are there other items they need to make sure have not been damaged by the grinding, i.e. the ring gear?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
inside the selenoid are 2 copper disks that can get welded/stuck together which could cause whats happening could also be a stuck start relay if you pull the small wire from the starter and it still runs then it is not the relay .

LoneEagle

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to my TG and it was the starter switch was shorted out. The dealer replaced the starter switch and all was OK. It happened twice to me.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I heard a strange noise last year when riding to a Patriot Guard mission. Didn't hear it all the time but all of a sudden something sounded like my radio had static but the radio wasn't on.

When I got to the cemetery I began backing the bike into a parking spot. The noise started up again and others in the area came over and asked "what was that"?

I replied I didn't know as I shut down the bike and then went to start it again. I hit the RUN switch and not START but it didn't matter. The starter engaged immediately. Not a good thing.

I called my dealer but they couldn't pick it up until Monday and it was Friday. They did tell me it sounded like the solenoid for the starter. And also that the starter gears may have been messed up because it was running while the starter was engaged.

Ended up having to get a tow from HOG but they would only tow to the nearest dealer, not the one I bought it from. That was fine with me though as the bike was still under the two year warranty.

The fix ended up being a bad starter switch. They did not replace the starter and I'm hoping the teeth were not messed up from having the starter engaged when it shouldn't have been. Its started fine ever since though and hasn't stuck again, yet.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Seems the starter buttons are becoming a problem. Right after my dad had his do it for the 2nd time, the one on my 2010 Triglide did it a couple weeks later. The same thing, shorted starter switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts