V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have an '03 heritage classic 95" 203 cams and propipes. after the dealer put the propipes on it was running great although too lean. I brought it back in and they put a 50 jet in. since they changed the jet I have had problems starting it and even blew the bendix trying. is it just coincidence that i am having problems starting since the rejet? in all these threads i have never seen anyone using a 50 jet. thanks for the help.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
wow, i have never heard of a 50 jet for a mild 95/203 no headwork build. I would think a 46 or 48 at most would get you in the ball park....I would try to get it tuned properly though.......

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
lonerider560 said:
hey guys, I have an '03 heritage classic 95" 203 cams and propipes. after the dealer put the propipes on it was running great although too lean. I brought it back in and they put a 50 jet in. since they changed the jet I have had problems starting it and even blew the bendix trying. is it just coincidence that i am having problems starting since the rejet? in all these threads i have never seen anyone using a 50 jet. thanks for the help.
I'm assuming the heads are still stock and the normal 95" head gasket was used?? I agree that a 50 slow jet is normally way too big.

What was in the carb before the engine upgrade?
What determined that it was running lean after the upgrade?
Is the ignition module still the stock one?
Was the starting problem happened when engine is cold, hot, etc.

More info would definitely help. For what it's worth, when I went to 95", stock heads with normal head gasket and 203 cams, I didn't have to change a thing in the carb. It is a mild build and only 7" more cubic inches.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Holy Moley! I have a lot more engine and am still running the 45. Main is 200. Sure, it's a tad lean, but here in NJ in the winter time I gotta keep it a little lean or it sneezes too much. Put the 45 back in and try a 195 main. If it feels lean, or is lean on the dyno, go to a 200.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Ed yes it is the stock ignition no head work has a 200 main. At the start it had 200 main and a 48 slow. I did have it dyno'd and all was fine. after riding for about 6,000 miles out to Sturgis down to Arizona and back the pipes became blue. they were so hot that at times i would get off the bike and they were glowing. I brought it back asked them to put it back on the dyno and tune it correctly. Naturally they did not dyno it they took the short cut and thats how i ended up with the 50 jet. As I said before i've been on this and other forums for years and have never heard of anyone using a 50. Guess I'll put the 48 jet back in myself and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Every engine is different but I find it hard to believe that you even need a 200 main in there, much less a 50 slow jet. There could be other things going on. Has it been checked for intake and exhaust leaks? Most of your riding was probably done on the needle unless you were hauling ass at 90-95 the whole way. What kind of needle setup is in it?? I would be sorely tempted to pull the exhaust the inspect inside the exhaust ports to see what they look like.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Your bike should be fine with a 46 slow and the stock 190 main...which is on the rich side for a stock motor...from your description of the pipe problem on the Sturgis run..I tend to agree with ED Y ...you are too lean on the needle..the needle will overlap the idle.. and the main circuits....sorry if anyone disagrees..thats just how it is. First try the old standby Sportster needle..with a 46 slow at 2 3/4 turns out and the 190 main.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Also forgot to mention that you might look into a different ignition module. Syclone could probably give you more info that. I use the SE Adjustable Map Ignition and have been happy with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts