V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my first post and I have a question.
I bought an XLS1000ccm '80 some weeks ago, but there's some problems. It starts OK, when it's cold. But when I've been driving and stops, wait for about 15 minutes or so, it's almost impossible to start. If I try right away after I stop, it starts. But when it rests a few minutes it coughs and rumbles a bit and won't start. If I then wait 'til it's cold, it starts right away. I changed the spark plugs, but no improvement. Anybody know why?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just a guess but the carb float bowls sound like their stuck or not adjusted properly. Has the carb been rebuilt or anything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have not checked the fuel filter. Don't know if the carb have been rebuilt, I don't think so. Another problem I had was that the carb floated over with gas, running out in the "drain pipe" don't know the correct technical word for it. The previous owner had tried to fix the carb and thought he had fixed it. After a couple of days I experienced the same thing, since I don't have much mechanical knowledge I got the local HD-repair shop to check it out. They said that the fuel hose was cracked. It seemed ok after they fixed it, but still it was hard to start as described in previous post. I called them and asked what it could be, they told me to try the choke next time, since the sparkplugs wore dry.
It starts if I push it, but last time I did that I almost died from heartattack, well not really, but it felt like it :D
I do not want to scout for hilltops every time I take a rest :(

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds like a heat soak situation. The problem is, why now? Is there anything you have done lately that may have accidentaly moved something? Is the weather warmer then normal lately? Make note how warm the carb is right after shut down, and then again when it has a tough time starting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner did have that problem too, but not that bad. I haven't moved anything to my knowledge and the problem started before the weather got warmer. I'll have to check it out over the weekend. I'm going away for a few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts