V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Softail. About 2 years ago I had a 95 build with Andrews 37 cams installed. I believe the compression was 9.5/1. I had de-compression valves installed to ease starting when the engine was hot When I was in Sturgis area in June, I never had to use the de-compression valves The engine fired right off with no grunting. (even in the 100 degree days they were having and even if engine was still hot) Back home in Illinois I need to use them to keep the starter from grunting when I go to start the engine. Is this due to the altitude in Sturgis and why would that cause the engine to turn over with little effort?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Starting

You really shouln't have to use anything to start a 95" motor. If the battery is OK I'd check the charging system 1st, then the starter. I have a 95" evo that I don't need anything special to start that. My tc dresser is 95" at 9.5;1 and that stars well also.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Y2kdresser said:
I have a 2002 Softail. About 2 years ago I had a 95 build with Andrews 37 cams installed. I believe the compression was 9.5/1. I had de-compression valves installed to ease starting when the engine was hot When I was in Sturgis area in June, I never had to use the de-compression valves The engine fired right off with no grunting. (even in the 100 degree days they were having and even if engine was still hot) Back home in Illinois I need to use them to keep the starter from grunting when I go to start the engine. Is this due to the altitude in Sturgis and why would that cause the engine to turn over with little effort?
Be SURE about your battery. I just had to get a new battery for my [stock] 05 L/R - it no longer had sufficient CCA to crank the engine - but it took a charge fine. Acted exactly as you have described. New battery - starts IMMEDIATELY. I didn't expect it because it's only 2 years old, but I was told "2-3 years" is about all you can typically expect - YMMV!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts