V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago I purchased an 86 883 with 51 actual miles. It hasn't been started in several years. I put a new battery in it. The starter makes a loud click when I try to start it, but doesn't turn over. I've pulled the plugs, gently rolled it in 3rd, popped the clutch, and the engine turns over fine. Any ideas what's wrong, before I tear it town?

Also, which repair manual is best? (Factory, Clymer, etc.)

Lastly, what's with the crimped on hose clips? I was wanting to drain the gas. Every other bike I've owned I could pull the fuel line below the petcock, but it looks like I would have to cut the clip off to pull this one. I guess I'll just pump it out of the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Davidt777,

I had the same problem last week with my sporster 883 53 custom.
I thought was the battery but I bought my bike two months ago so I supposed that was impossible.
HD repaired my bike and the problem was the electronic regolator of the battery that didn't recharge it.

Have a nice day.

Ethan

·
Registered
381 Posts
Check grounding wires and look for corrosion. If it has been sitting for a few years, I would also pull the tank and drain, un-varnish the carb, oil change and plugs before I try to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts