V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 90 softail drive train in an Ultima 200 rigid frame. Everything fit right but I have very little clearance between the starter terminal and the bottom of the oil tank.
Do they make a side terminal starter or do I finesse the battery tray around it. Open for suggestions thanks guys
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
How much room do you actually have? Do you have a pic of the starter installed?

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you can see the damn thing is close, I've got the tank 1/8 in from the bottom of the upper frame rails and actually gained some clearance, I've got a quarter inch from the terminal nut and bottom of battery tray, even with a bad ass boot on the cable end I'm sceptical, wondering what the stock clearances are like. Appreciate the reply

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
I'm not familiar with softails, but none of my bikes stock clearance hasn't been a whole lot more.

Sent from here to there.

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
55 Posts
Just studying the photo it would appear that you have a jam nut for the cable eye and a standard nut to hold the post to the case, you might find another brass jam nut and replace the standard nut on the post. If you still do not like what you see you could trim the post till you void your warranty

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the engineering I'm talking about, gives me another 1/8 for a total of 3/8 clearance which works for me. You guys are good, appreciate the replies.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
Welcome to the world of custom frames. There is a reason that builders don't paint them until after the complete scooter has been assembled once.

Make some clearance. Cut some more material off of that box floor. You don't need a lot of room, as its all fixed in place. But with hard tails there will be some flex in the frame.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
I'm with KnuckleChuck, I've used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel before to shorten a post from a generic kit. Bit of pain to remove it and put it in a bench vise for precision cutting but it worked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with KnuckleChuck, I've used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel before to shorten a post from a generic kit. Bit of pain to remove it and put it in a bench vise for precision cutting but it worked.
I've located a couple jamb nuts and I'll use a star lock washer as well as trimming the post a bit should be good to go, got the neoprene boot also. Thanks for your support I can check that one off the list !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts