V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1990 Hertitage started acting like the starter was going last week....zing zing is what it would sound like when hitting the start button. Then is would fire up...but then i noticed a sound in the primary like something was loose. I took the primary windo off and there was no oil in there!!!!....i've had this bike for a year now and never a leak.
I put the oil my manual calls for in the primary and the svc dude at the HD shop said sounds like the starter clutch.....so i changed that and still the same exact thing.
Never done the primary thing, so just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be...thanks:huh:

·
Banned
871 Posts
stifflerman said:
My 1990 Hertitage started acting like the starter was going last week....zing zing is what it would sound like when hitting the start button. Then is would fire up...but then i noticed a sound in the primary like something was loose. I took the primary windo off and there was no oil in there!!!!....i've had this bike for a year now and never a leak.
I put the oil my manual calls for in the primary and the svc dude at the HD shop said sounds like the starter clutch.....so i changed that and still the same exact thing.
Never done the primary thing, so just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be...thanks:huh:
No oil for a year????? Have you ever heard of maintenance checks? The intervals are listed in the factory service manual (ya got one, I hope). When was the last time you checked the primary oil? It could have migrated into the crankcase. Have you checked the engine oil level?

Does your clutch still have any material on the friction disks????? If you don't know how long it's been running dry, I would be checking the ring gear, starter gear, the clutch, chain, and possibly bearings. Going just a couple hours with no oil can cause major damage!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not saying it was dry for a year...i've had it a year, just last week noticed a noise like the chain was loose and the starter woud'nt kick in....when i opened the primary window everything was coated with a film of oil, and it was almost empty....getting it ripped apart tonight,
i'll let you know what it is.....thanks for the info....:hmmm:

it had been maintained regularly also when i picked it up last april...

·
Banned
871 Posts
stifflerman said:
i'm not saying it was dry for a year...i've had it a year, just last week noticed a noise like the chain was loose and the starter woud'nt kick in....when i opened the primary window everything was coated with a film of oil, and it was almost empty....getting it ripped apart tonight,
i'll let you know what it is.....thanks for the info....:hmmm:

it had been maintained regularly also when i picked it up last april...
If your oil was low for a while, then the chain may have loosened up due to accelerated wear. I'd definitely check everything out carefully while you have it apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts