V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use autmotive Mobil 1 20-50 in your crankcase in lieu of Mobil 1 V Twin? My son runs it in his GSXR and it seems ok. Florida based riding.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Sorry about that. If you use the search function for "Mobil1", numerous threads will show up for you to read. Then next month, after you've read all the threads, and still have question, feel free to post it.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I agree. Do a search. This topic has been beaten to death here.:beatdh:

·
Banned
169 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News (they don't take advertising dollars) did a four part series on oils a few years back that convinced me Mobil-1 15W-50 is the best bang for your buck, also practical given the availability just about anywhere. This link just shows it is very stable with regards to breakdown, something to look for with air-cooled motors. It also has more moly than average (good slippery stuff) I have no idea though where you can find the complete series from MCN

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

:cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that this topic has been beaten to death however I did go through all 6 pages this morning and nothing I found spoke about mobil 1 automotive oil. Only VTwin oil. My best bet is to email mobil and ask them what the difference between mobil1 on walmarts shelf for $19.00 (5 quart) and mobile 1 vtwin syn oils. Thanks

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
rustyrun said:
I agree that this topic has been beaten to death however I did go through all 6 pages this morning and nothing I found spoke about mobil 1 automotive oil. Only VTwin oil. My best bet is to email mobil and ask them what the difference between mobil1 on walmarts shelf for $19.00 (5 quart) and mobile 1 vtwin syn oils. Thanks
They will give you the standard answer to put car oil in your car and motorcycle oil in your bike.
I have been using mobil 1 15/50 for many years now and have never had any problem. It's good oil. It's half the price of the V-Twin stuff. People have been using it in Harleys for years and years. Me being one of them. On some of the oil forums they have tested it and it's real close to the V-twin oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks 04 glide. This is what I was looking for. I went on the Mobile website and they admitted there was not much different than the two. Apparently VTwin has more zinc and phosophorus and is designed for higher engine temps.

From Mobil:
It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils

from rustyrun '02 Glide

·
Registered
30 Posts
04GLIDE said:
They will give you the standard answer to put car oil in your car and motorcycle oil in your bike.
I have been using mobil 1 15/50 for many years now and have never had any problem. It's good oil. It's half the price of the V-Twin stuff. People have been using it in Harleys for years and years. Me being one of them. On some of the oil forums they have tested it and it's real close to the V-twin oil.

Same here...used it for years in my bikes. Good stuff and easy to find.:yes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
rustyrun said:

I did just that and they said basically no moly to cause the wet clutch applications to slip and heavier anti corrosive & anti shear additive package to handle the heat generated by air cooled engines. I have done a lot of research and the MC oils hold a higher TBN longer and seem to shear less than the automotive ones. Syn3,Vtwin & Amsoil will all beat the automotive synthetic oils for TBN. ( when tested after use)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts