V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at picking up a new 2002 fxst this week, but having never ridden one, I'm a little concerned about the comfort level. How is this bike on long distance ride, particularly two up riding. I had a dyna superglide which I found to be excellent on long trips. Any opinions? seat changes, favorite windshield or backrests. Appreciate all and any info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 2000 FXST with a Mustang seat, 6" risers, drag bars and mini floor boards. Works for me, 300-400 mile days are not a big deal but the 21" front wheel can be tyering on rough roads. If I did a lot of long distances I would probably go with a bagger although not really my style.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 99 FXST and love every minute on the bike! I have changed to 12" bars (more like a Wide Glide) for better arm placement than the stock. I'm 6'2" and find it great on long rides...just lay back, put the feet over the pegs and fly....so if your tall you may want to put on forward controls.

Weirdly enough I still have the stock seat on and dont mind it. We ride two up a lot...many trips to Sturgis at 700+ miles and we do it with full t-bag, tent and saddlebags packed to the nuts, in one day.

The 21" tire will let you FEEL the road, but I like that...many dont...it does wear you out sooner than a fatter tire would.

For the $$$$ you save buying the FXST...you can then afford to customise it whatever way makes you feel more comfortable on the bike. The only thing you wont be able to swap easily is that front end so make sure the 21" is for you

CHEERS
FXST99

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I have an '02 FXST. I think it is a very smooth bike, but the bikes I've had in the past were a ridged Panhead, swingarm Panhead and a '79 Lowrider. So this bike seems like a dream to ride. For me, ignorance is bliss. Next one MAY be a Roadking or at least I will rent one to see. You might think about spending a couple of hundred to rent before you decide.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts